Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,069   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Perhaps the problem with photo clubs (technical emphasis, pressure to conform, etc.) is that fact that they are "clubs" in the first place ??? Here in Calgary a few years ago, APUGger Eric Rose set up the Large Format Users Group. It was never intended to be a "club" with fees, an executive, and the associated politics. It was, instead, intended to be a monthly forum (2nd Tuesday of the month between Sep and Jun) where local large format (mostly) and traditional (mostly) photographers get together to show/look at each other's work and share ideas/techniques and discoveries. I write "mostly" as we are not hard and fast about the large format requirement (some members shoot medium format) and some members are experimenting with digital printing processes from negatives.

The long and short of it, is that it just works. Occasional optional outdoor shoot days are arranged from time to time, and we have an annual Christmas dinner that is a great time. Ideas are shared and the group has grown in numbers and creativity and idea sharing. I believe the central reason is works is that the focus is on the photography, not on all the associated garbage that is a part of club politics and administration. Several of the LFUG members are also APUG members. For this success, the credit must go to the tireless efforts and inspiration of Eric Rose. We are knob-free, and hope to remain so.

To this end, I do agree with the David Vestal's observations about clubs (and I might add, his observations are not the exclusive province of "photo" clubs). Thank goodness we have gone in a different and ultimately more satisfying direction, thanks to Eric Rose.

" Be happy. Take a silver break today !!!"
    MP_Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whenever I pick up a PhotoTechniques, the only thing I'm absolutely sure I'll read is whatever David Vestal has written. He is among the very, very few regularly published writers who has the courage to rock the boat, and burst the balloons. (He once wrote something so pointed and strong in criticism of a prominent photographer who was easy to identify that he had to temper what he'd written just a tad in the next issue because I guess he'd gotten his knuckles rapped and maybe a lawyer letter....though that didn't change his mind any.) I sometimes disagree strongly with what he writes, but more often than not, I think he's spot on. It's too bad he doesn't have someone edit what he puts on line, because it's unprofessional to not proofread and fix mistakes, but I'm absolutely sure he couldn't care less at this stage of his career.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Who is this person?
    A tutor or a keen photographer?
    I would appreciate to give me some info.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    http://www.startphoto.com/learn/basi...photograph.htm

Remember him? I recall his articles and the photographs of New York from a distance.
    I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.
    k o m b i z z

Shooter
    35mm
    My take on it is that it is an opinion, and he is certainly entitled to it.

My experience with camera clubs has been less than satisfactory, but I wouldn't hold anything but my experience with that particular club, and my personal style responsible.

I was the only analog guy, for starters, and while that should have been an interesting diversity for the membership, it seemed more to me like I had an arm growing out of my forehead.

Also, the main photographic activity seemed to be to line up in font of a subject and shoot 500 or so handheld shots in two or three minutes, sort of like shooting the grizzly bear salmon feast from a railed platform. Just not my cup of tea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kombizz View Post
    Who is this person?
    A tutor or a keen photographer?
    I would appreciate to give me some info.
    Thanks

Not very extensive, but at least something. He taught at SVA in NYC for many years, too, I believe, and is retired from that career.

http://www.photoformulary.com/images...weber_2007.pdf
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I was the only analog guy, for starters, ... it seemed more to me like I had an arm growing out of my forehead. Also, the main photographic activity seemed to be to line up in font of a subject and shoot 500 or so handheld shots in two or three minutes, sort of like shooting the grizzly bear salmon feast from a railed platform. Just not my cup of tea.
    I agree. I have recently been invited to participate in a local quasi-club where I would the ONLY non-digital shooter (not sure why I was invited). Based on my recent experiences on field outings with them, my lumbering, contemplative style with tripod+LF or MF equipment just does not fit in with their hit-and-run, staccato machine gun shooting style (and nary a tripod to be seen anywhere!). I will probably politely decline my participation in this emerging club lest I too be seen as growing an extra arm out of my forehead.

I had a recent, similar experience at a workshop where it seemed that the emphasis was on "automatic" capabilities afforded by the digi-SLRs (again I was the only traditional shooter). However, the audience, in general, seemed to know little of the basic concepts of exposure, lens mechanics, light, etc. I can only presume that somehow the technological advances from the emergence of "digital" versus "traditional" light have made such knowledge "redundant". I guess somewhere along the way, light changed its physical properties (and I have been left behind) !!! (LOL)

To your point about the Grizzly Bear Fishing Ambush - I coined a phrase some time ago to describe it... "The Herd Shoot"

Sorry, but give me a quiet, reflective morning/afternoon in the countryside with my tripod and gear anytime, trying to catch that ever elusive "traditional" light that is out there !!! (at least I think traditional light is still out there?)... ;-)

" Be happy. Take a silver break today !!!"
    MP_Wayne

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post

I was the only analog guy.......
    Same here as well. Everybody is very nice and cordial but I have found that I simply have nothing in common with them accept the word..."photography". I don't participate in the local club anymore because it has evolved into something that I feel is a complete waste of my time.....not that I am better or I hold my brand of photography (the analog brand) as more "real", but I just find it hard to participate under nonsensical rules and an overall club mentality that I find stifling.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Groucho Marx said it best -- "I would not belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member"

I guess that I am not comfortable as a joiner
    (My continued presence on APUG baffles me)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin