Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,359   Online: 727

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Phillippe Bachelier's Technique? Best Printer Alive?

Sabastio Salgado and James Nachtwey are two of my favorite photographers. Their printing methods are remarkable and quite similar in my opinion, with subtle differences here and there, but they do not print their own work. I do not have a name for Nachtwey's printer, but it is said that Salgado's work is printed by Philippe Bachelier.

I believe this to be true because I visited Bachelier's website, and although the subject matter is different, the manner in which the are images are printed are strikingly similar to Salgado's printed images. They have the same dark and grainy beautiful look about them that I so love. This guys work is AWESOME to me and in my opinion, he may be the best printer alive.

To make a long story short, does anyone know the method he uses to make his blacks so rich (eg. film, developer, developmet method etc.)?

How does he print an image so dark and grainy, but yet still have an equal balance of shadows and highlights?

This is the look that I am interested in, but am now quite sure where to start.
    Any help will be thoroughly appreciated because I am baffled.

The link to Bachelier's website is: http://www.philippebachelier.com/

The link to Nachtwey's site is: http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Thanx!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at Michael A Smith and Paula Chamlee's Azo prints and their printing methods and materials.

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/index_skip.html
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Tom.

I have been on their sight on numerous occassions. Their method of printing is what I initially wanted to learn, and was eager to start, but to my dismay I found out that it is a different process (silver chloride). Until two years ago, I knew nothing of photography. In fact I had never even used a camera.

I only shoot 35mm as of now. After I master it...hopefully I will, I plan to move up and join the big dog's with LF and ULF and make some silver chloride contact prints.

Thanks.
    James.
    Last edited by jamusu; 12-06-2007 at 12:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamusu View Post
    Tom.

I have been on their sight on numerous occassions. Their method of printing is what I initially wanted to learn, and was eager to start, but to my dismay I found out that it is a different process (silver chloride). Until two years ago, I knew nothing of photography. In fact I had never even used a camera.

I only shoot 35mm as of now. After I master it...hopefully I will, I plan to move up and join the big dog's with LF and ULF and make some silver chloride contact prints.

Thanks.
    James.
    Paula Chamlee makes contact prints from negatives she shoots with her 6x7 cm camera. M&P's assistant, Richard Boutwell, makes contact prints from negatives he makes with his Hasselblad. You don't have to use large format cameras to make beautiful prints.

An 8x10 sheet of Azo certainly goes a long way when you can get 12 prints out of it.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was told that Philippe Bachelier only develop the film , he is not the printer even if is quite good at printing. It may have change but in the last article date of 2007 it was still noted that Bachelier develop the film and then a printer make the print.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I met Philippe BAchelier a few years ago. He had just developped a big number of films by salgado. Indeed, Philippe is one of the best lab operator in the world. But he only develops films. Prints are realised by Dominique Granier. I have heard that he launch his own developing service now...
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    35mm
    So it seems as though what I need to learn first is Bachilier's development method then worry about the printing? Where can I get a copy of the article that talk's about he and Granier?

Any other advice on this topic will be much appreciated.

Jamusu.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is only one way to get that result (no magic button or formula) you have to work
    When you will have developped some thousands films and print even more (trying each print to make it better than the one before) you will get as good results as the ones you are looking for.
    patience & hard work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamusu View Post
    Sabastio Salgado and James Nachtwey are two of my favorite photographers. Their printing methods are remarkable and quite similar in my opinion, with subtle differences here and there, but they do not print their own work. I do not have a name for Nachtwey's printer, but it is said that Salgado's work is printed by Philippe Bachelier.

I believe this to be true because I visited Bachelier's website, and although the subject matter is different, the manner in which the are images are printed are strikingly similar to Salgado's printed images. They have the same dark and grainy beautiful look about them that I so love. This guys work is AWESOME to me and in my opinion, he may be the best printer alive.

To make a long story short, does anyone know the method he uses to make his blacks so rich (eg. film, developer, developmet method etc.)?

How does he print an image so dark and grainy, but yet still have an equal balance of shadows and highlights?

This is the look that I am interested in, but am now quite sure where to start.
    Any help will be thoroughly appreciated because I am baffled.

The link to Bachelier's website is: http://www.philippebachelier.com/

The link to Nachtwey's site is: http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Thanx!
    Hard to make a decision about Prints from web images...EC

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want to see how Granier prints, why don't you send some of your negatives to his newly opened black and white lab in Paris "Gamme de Gris". Then you can have the man himself do it for you, should be one big learning experience.
    Best Regards
    Mads

P.S. It is Granier who prints for Salgado, He says so himself, when he speaks about how much he's learned from printing his negatives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin