Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,735   Online: 907

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Iraq War

Hello,

I read all of the responses to The Iraq War to this point. The question seems to have become muddled as the number of responses increased. All of your responses are interesting but not all stick to the questions asked.

This is not a discussion about your feelings about the war or censorship. A new topic can be started or an existing one might be better suited for your responses to topics such as censorship in news and publications.

[*]If the responses stray to far from the topic questions, I will ask that they be removed.

If you find a news photo about the war that you consider to be outstanding or to your liking, post a link to the photograph on your response. Looking forward to your replies.
    <span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>Pertaining to cameras-"Love the one your with."</span></span></span>

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ok, since I am back is time I do a little moderating. I understand Bens request but I would prefer that a link to the photograph be posted insted of the actual photograph. These pictures are copyrighted and we certainly do not need a hassle with AP or Reuters.

I know we all tend to ramble a little but lets try and keep it more on topic.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have found a few images of the Iraqi War that I consider to be "interesting". I have *NO* idea where to find "links" to them - nor do I have any idea of the photographer.

I have one .jpg image that would probably be a little "tough" to take ... but posting it would be "off-limits".

Where can I find "links"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Ben,

We are a very informal group here and we often seem to get a bit off track in our discussions. That I guess is part of our charm. We are like a hen party that starts off talking about our spouses and end up swapping recipies.

When that happens we need to be steered back on track.

I have not seen many photographs of the war that I thought were great. Most I saw were in Time. As for B&W vs color, I think B&W still has more impact. The picture from the first desert storm, of the Iraqi burned up with half his body sticking out of the tank was the defining photograph of the war.

Later.

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree. This is an informal board where participants can express themselves, even on a tangent to the main topic. War is a very broad and highly emotional , volitile subject that will spark controversies and debates no matter what aspects you touch on. There is really no need to make threats to delete messages.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Now now people lets not get testy. Ok, Ed what I meant was that probably some of the pictures shown would come from internet. So lifting it to post here would be a copyright violation. If you saw the pic in the net, then just post the link for those who wish to see those kind of things.

Michael and RAP, although the tone is a little bit harsh, Ben is certainly within his rights to request the responses to be deleted, that does not mean that they will be removed.

Ben, how about you lighten up a little uh? Respond to the answers you like and ignore the rest, you will find this makes the forums more enjoyable. If Sean and I were to go strictly by the book and remove the off topic posts and their responses half the content would be gone. For example this thread would be removed as it does not deal with any specific photographer and this is the "photographers" forum.

So c`mon guys lets stop the griping and get back to enjoying the forums.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not impressed with photo(or TV news) coverage of Iraqui war too. But, lucky me, I have oportunity to wach CNN, BBC, Al Jazeira, DW, and other non USA or UK TV /radio stations or read magazines. There is one simple reason, which I understan but hate. And I will connect it with Aggies worry for children minds. Something like this:

US(or coalition) army must censored photos for one simply reason. They can not allowe to the people(or soldiers) in USA to see that US soldiers dies too, getting without limbs because bomb exlpoding, getting ill, suffer when dying or beeing wounded etc. That will lower moral of people, who will start to saing, Hey I don&#39;t want MY child(husband, brother, sister, wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, father, daughter, etc.) to get killed or anything. So, only enemy suffer, our brave soldiers who fight for right cause never gets in any trouble. Someone mention, for USA and rest of coalition countries, Iraqui war is vrtual war, while other(Iraqui) people is getting killed. Just remember about 12 years old boy who left without complete familly and both of his hands when one "precise bomb which hit only military targets" hits his house... How that was covered in US media, just wonder...

That censorship started when expression "colateral damage" was introduced. Lets call things with theire real names. There is NO such thing like "colateral damage". There are killed civilians. And that is only fair and real expression. Period.

If I was too emotional, I am sorry. I was in war 10 years ago(Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina), was wounded, saw children getting killed, become invalides, and let me tell you something. All wars are dirty, and there is NO WAY to show war in "clean" way. If you are honest, you will show it with all the blod and suffer that war produce. And only one more thing. There is no way for any person (photographer in this case) who has any moral or soul to remain at distance. You must take side. All other talking about professionalism, both sides story, blah, blah, are just excuses.

Regards, Haris.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jorge,

One man&#39;s harsh is another man&#39;s butter. It&#39;s not easy being a referee. Keep up the good work&#33;

Aggie,

I am sure we can all share some lifes experiences that have shaped what we are today. Maybe we should start another topic.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

To the original questions - check out http://www.digitaljournalist.org/ for interviews and columns by some of the photographers and journalists working in Iraq.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin