Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,234   Online: 835

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Iraq War

MVJIM-A very nice link! My compliments.

I viewed Peter Tunley's photographs. One of the photos displayed appeared in the Chicago Tribune. I especially liked 'tornado', that's what I call it. The US soldier is standing in front of a burning oil well with his weapon. And 'Reflections on a letter home', another description of mine of a US troop at a remote base camp.

Thanks.
    <span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>Pertaining to cameras-"Love the one your with."</span></span></span>

Shooter
    Large Format
    Having served during Viet Nam two photos stand out in my mind of that war. The naked little girl running from the Napalmed village and the VC general executing a civilian ( Point blank range with a pistol pointed at his head).
    Those two photos sum up my feelings about war and it's supposed justifications. I will continue to shoot land scapes and enjoy each day of the rest of my life. MY two cents

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A blog by a good photographer at the front: Stephanie Sinclair who got a worldpress photos award for her coverage of Iraqi self-immolating women.

The single photo that has most grabbed me thus far was a non-combat Natchwey shot. Go to http://www.viiphoto.com/ click on "Enter Agency" and then (when the window comes up) "Iraq War" and "The Shiites" -- photo #11, little boy on his father's shoulders.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    A blog by a good photographer at the front: Stephanie Sinclair who got a worldpress photos award for her coverage of Iraqi self-immolating women.

The single photo that has most grabbed me thus far was a non-combat Natchey shot. Go to http://www.viiphoto.com/ click on "Enter Agency" and then (when the window comes up) "Iraq War" and "The Shiites" -- photo #11, little boy on his father's shoulders.
    a truly gifted photographer. And what caught my eye relative to a recent thread here on APUG regarding titling a picture, the really good ones don't need a title.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know the Digitaljournalist page has been cited already, and I know that this is from the first Gulf War, but this is one of the most telling series of photographs I've seen come out of Iraq - http://www.digitaljournalist.org/iss.../pt_intro.html More people need to see things like this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Two days ago, the local news covered the funeral of an American Marine - Iraqi casualty. His sister was interviewed and tearfully asked *the* question - simply - "Why?"

Other than answering, "A lust for oil" ... I don't know.

The image that "got" to me was the one showing the man in the turban holding the dead child - whose feet had been blown off. I won't forget that one for a long, long time.

Support our troops - really support them - bring them home.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    For what purpose war photography? The 1984 style propaganda or the subversive honesty of some of the Vietnam era pictures? Given the right-wing media control in US, we seem to be in an Orwellian period where photographers resort to photoshop doctoring of images to create that backhome feel-good picture (LA Times). If we want honest images of war, probably have to look to foreign news media/reporters.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Given the right-wing media control in US
    Depends on where you are. SF is definately ultra liberal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    For what purpose war photography?
    His sister wasn't questioning photography ... she was questioning the death of her brother.

Every life - on either side is precious. At times, there might be a faint glimmer of justification - but now? We've proved ourselves - although there wasn't much to prove in the first place - we were stronger, by far - there was no question of that.
    Does anyone think that the government of Iraq is now a threat? Does anyone think that a government in Iraq now exists?
    Why are we now in there, and dying - and when are our brave servicemen - check that - servicepeople - going to get what they want and deserve most - a return home.

From the First World War - a line from a song of the trenches, taught to me by a 38 year Supply Sergeant:

"Where the whiz-bangs are a' flyin'
    And comforts are few
    There brave men are a' dyin'
    For bastards like you."
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Ed,

Hopefully when we get rid of this liar in the White House that has his foundation crumbling around him... do you know he has not been to even one memorial service for any of the World War Bush II dead? And why do you think that is? And why are the dead and wounded only flown back home in the middle of the night?
    What is wrong with this world anyhow?

And Aggie, you can hardly call the media in the SF area ultra liberal, you don't strike me as the Bay Guardian kind of reader.

Ray
    Do not question what you have not done, question what you will not try.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin