Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,492   Online: 830

Shooter
    Large Format

Diane Arbus Archive

The New York Museum of Modern Art has acquired the archives of Diane Arbus, and has also purchased some of her more famous prints. For further info, see New York Times article

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Doug- correction. It is not the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) but rather the Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met, MMA). Two very different institutions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Doug- correction. It is not the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) but rather the Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met, MMA). Two very different institutions.
    Yes, indeed. And a somewhat surprising acquisition for the very staid Metropolitan. I guess this is their way of answering the current thread here asking if photography is art.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sorry about the misquote. Guess its the eyes/mind see one thing but the mind thinks/types another. I haven't been to either museum, so just lump them together ;-) Does appear to be an unusual acquisition for a conservative art museum since Arbus is more of a modernist photographer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes- I would have thought for sure it would have gone to MoMA or maybe the Whitney. Although, the MMA has been making a great effort to improve their photographic holdings and to showcase a wide breadth of photographic materials and subjects in recent years. The NGA in Washington DC is also starting to do the same, but they're about a decade behind the MMA, despite having had a photo collection for a long time as well.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Sorry about the misquote. Guess its the eyes/mind see one thing but the mind thinks/types another. I haven't been to either museum, so just lump them together ;-) Does appear to be an unusual acquisition for a conservative art museum since Arbus is more of a modernist photographer.
    Wouldn't you love to see here archives! I always had a lot of respect for her work and was very saddened by her death.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    you can. most museums will allow you to see their archives if you make an appointment. You should go see them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin