Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,662   Online: 825

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenro Izu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    His site does list Detroit... for next year exhibits.
    Now that is something to look forward to!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    I'm sure 30-40 pounds is more like. I think his custom built 14x20 was built by the late Jack Deardorff. I'm not exactly sure though so don't hold me to it. My previous post was just a feeble attempt at a little humor. I've been shooting ULF for a few years now so I'm pretty up on the logistics involved with using one in the field. Of course a 300 lb camera sounds so much more dramatic in the review. Maybe the author was weighing the camera and the Yak that was carrying it.
    Thanks Robert,

You reminded me of reading the following, and I thought others would enjoy.

“In the late 1970s, Kenro Izu obtained a New York State Arts Grant. Later, at the penultimate moment before such grants totally ended, he won a fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts to make large-format photographs. Strangely though Izu’s own country of Japan refused to support photographic artists with grants in aid or exhibition programs, the United States and the National Endowment for the Arts gave Izu financial support, even though he is a foreign national.

The endowment awarded Izu $16,000 to develop his project. In turn, Izu contacted Jack Deardorff, placing an order with perhaps the greatest camera maker in the United States for “the largest format camera that I can carry by myself ...a modification of Mr. Deardorff’s 12x20” banquet camera… with hardware the same as Mr. Deardorff’s banquet camera…the same ideal aspect ratio as a 35mm camera, or a 5x7”.” The camera was Jack Deardorff’s masterpiece of a lifetime of making cameras. It was a monster camera that created 14x20” negatives. It was a behemoth. There was nothing else like it. “The perfect size but perhaps a little too large,” Izu admitted later, in a fit of modesty given his slight frame.”

Quoted from:
    Sacred Places, Kenro Izu, Essay by Clark Worswick, Arena Editions, Page 10

A couple years back the Columbus Ohio Museum of Art had an Art Sinsabaugh exhibit which included the 12x20 Deardorff and tripod Art used. If I hadn’t seen pictures of Art carrying camera and tripod on his shoulder I might have said the 300 pound estimate looked pretty close to true.

Odd that 14x20 seems middling in all our posts of 20x24 today.

John Powers

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Now that is something to look forward to!
    Bill,
    Please let us know when that happens. Lebanese lunch in Dearborn and Japanese platinum in the afternoon. I don't think the senses can ask for any better than that.

John Powers

Gim

DIA exhibit runs 7-9-08 to 10-12-08. I'm up for a gathering. I would like to see this exhibit anyway and meeting up with others is just adding a little cream.

Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John, This sounds like a one tank trip for us. Unless of course we take my vehicle then its an investment. It would be nice to be there for the opening.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    John, This sounds like a one tank trip for us. Unless of course we take my vehicle then its an investment. It would be nice to be there for the opening.

Happy to drive up for the opening. You'll probably have to drive back while I nap, unless we stay over night and see it again the next morning.

John P.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Happy to drive up for the opening.
    Count me in on this. I get a few tickets for each event and would be happy to share them.

Bill

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sounds like a plan! I imagine if we want to make the opening then getting tickets in advance would be wise. Robert... P.S. John, I could probably tolerate your snoring on the way back. I just did 20 hours straight from Boulder, Colorado. Detroit will be like going around the block.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    This keeps getting better. Thanks Bill. Thanks Robert. Lets not forget the Lebanese place in Dearborn. Oh that lamb is good.

John P.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Got to hold a few of his prints in a gallery in the southwest a few years back. They were divine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin