Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,113   Online: 759

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clyde Butcher

Images
    I too admire both the man and his work. When I lived in SW Florida, I got to know Clyde by stopping by his gallery/home in Big Cypress. Because I worked for the state environment dept., most of our conversations were about the environment, not photography. But he was my introduction into LF. I stopped by one day with my Bronica SQA and he said I really should use a 4x5 at least. Pulled out an old tailboard 4x5, handed it to me and let me play with it around his place. Mostly use nothing but a 4x5 today. Now that I live in NM, I miss going to his place and seeing his work in person. Like an Ansel Adam's photo, they look great in a book or on line, but look truely amazing in person. Luckily I have 4 Clyde's on my walls, including #1 of 3 limited edition print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by r-brian View Post
    I too admire both the man and his work. When I lived in SW Florida, I got to know Clyde by stopping by his gallery/home in Big Cypress. Because I worked for the state environment dept., most of our conversations were about the environment, not photography. But he was my introduction into LF. I stopped by one day with my Bronica SQA and he said I really should use a 4x5 at least. Pulled out an old tailboard 4x5, handed it to me and let me play with it around his place. Mostly use nothing but a 4x5 today. Now that I live in NM, I miss going to his place and seeing his work in person. Like an Ansel Adam's photo, they look great in a book or on line, but look truely amazing in person. Luckily I have 4 Clyde's on my walls, including #1 of 3 limited edition print.
    Cool story!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Stopped in his place once when I was on the Tamiami trail.
    Didn't think you could risk stopping on that road.
    That was the advice of the rental car folks
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have taken two of Clydes workshops and been to his open houses. From the workshops I learned how to shoot wide angle in the landscape and it has helped me a lot. they are not organized, they are all about him and not worth the money. As for darkroom, you do not want to learn from him. As for his prints a friend of mine bought a 4'x5' print and it is outstanding. BUT his retired lab tech. was my patient and we talked a lot and I can say that he was the only thing that kept the quality there. Notice that much of his sales now are inkjet not even darkroom. and try to get a large print now. He also has most of his negatives processed by a lab. He is a great sales person and knows how to sell what ever he is selling at the time. remember the clocks at Sears in the 70's, that was his business, snap shot photos glued into the clocks.

he is well known though.
    PS: check out his new book. sure looks like the same as a Ansel Adams book about yosemite, with the same pic on the front cover, except AA's is much better.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin