Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,203   Posts: 1,531,638   Online: 1134

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

50th Anniversary of death of Edward Weston

If my sources are correct, today is the 50th anniversary of the death of Edward Weston. Judging by the number of times an image posted to one of the APUG galleries is evaluated by reference to a Weston print, Edward Weston is clearly an inspiration and favourite of many APUGers. He has had an huge impact upon modern photography, and dispite the fact that it is now more than 50 years since he has created an image (and many are now more than 80 years old), his images remain contemporary. Long may his images inspire us.
    Michael K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if there were a moment's doubt about what to hoist a glass to , EW is worth more than I should imbibe. Happy New Year!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Looking at a Daybook as we speak. Thank you, Edward.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    January 1st, 1958. I loaned the Eloquent Nude to a friend, else I'd be watching it right now. Instead, I'll have a glass of wine & look thru one of his books (Leaves of Grass, maybe).
    Last edited by doughowk; 12-31-2007 at 08:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For many of us, there were only two sources of information about serious photography. The Ansel Adams Basic Photo Series taught an entire generation about how to use a camera, develop film and make a print. The Daybooks of Edward Weston were a record of how to be a photographic artist. Many "new" photographers do not understand why these two photographers continue to command respect and admiration. This is why. For many years these two photographers were the main source for people pursuing photography as art.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mkiernan View Post
    and dispite the fact that it is now more than 50 years since he has created an image (and many are now more than 80 years old), his images remain contemporary. Long may his images inspire us.
    The last image he made was "The Dody Rocks" at Point Lobos in 1948. His worsening Parkinson's disease made it impossible for him to ever photograph subsequent to that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A true inspiration, It's hard to imagine what it would be without his work and writings. A special thanks and remembrance should go to his family who completed printing his work and took care of him to the final day.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking about Edward when I got up this morning... I didn't quite catch the sunrise as he did that final day since I watched the ball drop while toning prints last night but it was in part Edward's Daybooks that give me the courage to keep plugging away. His path has certainly made ours easier. Thanks for posting.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been reading his Daybooks the last few weeks. Quite interesting to see into his mind during the time that he made most of his famous work.
    WJS/wi/usa

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    He's a true great for sure-one of my chief inspirations for more than a decade.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin