Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,097   Online: 946

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

fine art portraits

I'm looking for some printing inspiration for some formal portraits. Can anyone recommend some links of nicely printed portraits..black and white and preferably male subjects. Cheers

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is plenty of inspiration in the APUG galleries themselves - however they are subscriber access only, well worth it though
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This character used to hang out here quite a bit : Michael McBlane

Plenty of inspiration at his site.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Although somewhat homo-erotic (which I have no problem with), I always thought that Robert Maplethorpe's photographs where technically brilliant. I think they were all done in black and white. My aunt, an art dealer has
    a photo he did of her three children against a black backdrop (most of his work was that way I believe) and the white of their face just pops.

He's not for anybody but I really respect his work. I think he was even self taught?
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mapplethorpe's photos are definitely an acquired taste. He had formal training in art, but his photography was largely self taught. He got his BFA from the Pratt Institute in graphic design. For a long time, he did none of his own printing or developing, but had assistants and labs handle all that work. His lighting technique though was entirely his own. Actually, only a small portion of his total output would fall into what could be called "objectionable", especially by today's standards. In the early 80's, though, it was a bit more scandalous. He earned his basic paycheck doing portrait commissions, though, until his later years. There is a substantial body of his portrait work out there, but I don't recall if it has been compiled into a single volume.

There is a book. I have seen it. A coffee table book with every type (and I mean every) type of photo. I don't remember the name but its probably searchable.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I know there are a number of books of Mapplethorpe's photos, but I don't think one of exclusively his portrait work exists. Numerous volumes of his flowers, his nudes, and his erotic work exist. I did a look-see on Amazon and couldn't find one of his portraits, but that's not an exhaustive search. I'd love to be wrong about that and find such a book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The recommendation of portraits by Michael McBlane and Robert Mapplethorpe are both excellent choices and I'd add Greg Gorman to the list.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mike Disfarmer has become a favorite of mine. Something about the light he used mesmerizes me, but others see differently. I can spend hours looking through the galleries at that site. Wade through some of the pages at my little site while you're out strolling.

Re-reading your original post, perhaps my tastes lean toward informal, so dis-regard if not on target.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Formal portraits of men... How about Steichen's wonderful portraits of e.g. Noel Coward and Charlie Chaplin? They are such intelligent and knowing portrayals of these famous personalities. Coward the flamboyant homosexual aesthete, photographed in dramatic chiaroscuro daintily holding a smoking cigarette in a holder. Full-length. At top left, the silhouette of an animal... a cat of course, what else? Chaplin on a stage under a spotlight but seen slightly from above. Casting a huge shadow, sporting a devilish grin, poised on an ivory-handled walking stick. It's all in the context. Photography cannot reveal the soul, unless it is in worry lines at the corners of the eyes or the drooping mouth resulting from too many years wearing a sour expression. But the photographer can do something to show the personality and substance of the sitter, to provide that essential spark of interest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin