Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,221   Online: 893

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Color=calendar/poster art

I would agree that color is sometimes regarded by the "Art" community as calendar art and black and white is the truer art. But, I find the buying public still approves of color with their wallets. In my home I support both.
    What I have found is that color prints have to be big and large to make an impact. Poster size. I don't agree with this but this is what I found from other photographers. BW can come in all sizes. I had one gallery person tell me this, "Color needs to be large to sell. The larger the better". I disagree and have always made my color prints small and intimate. My prints come in size from 4x5 to 11x14. I rather have someone hold my print close then have to see it from a hallway away. But I diverse.
    Cole was making a place for himself on two fronts. First, being the son and brother of two great photographers and second being the only color photographer amid all the rest of the Monterey/West coast photographers. Most if not all doing black and white photography. Talking about being the only port in a storm. I guess Cole had Eliott Porter to look to. But not many others. Today we have many more but Cole was a quiet leader in the field of color photography.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Cole was dedicated to his work, but even more so to the legacy of his father. He idolized Edward. He told me once that he moved to color in an effort to not be constantly compared with his father or brother. He was an extremely competent B&W photographer and I have a couple of his prints to prove that point.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Exactly my point above. The only time that I exhibited with him, his prints were black and white. Later, he concentrated on photgraohing in color. He was an excellent printer, of his own work and of his father's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin