Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,726   Online: 809

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by loman View Post
    Well I prefer the 82 version of the Goldberg Variations. Maybe becaus that's the year I was born?
    Seriously though, sure it's more eccentric, but in my mind, also more "deep".
    Anway back to photography...
    In his later years, Gould himself prefered the 82 version. He thought the earlier version was far to emotive and dramatic. Like me, Glenn Gould was somewhat uncomfortable with emotions. Unlike me, he was a real artist.

Images
    Thanks for showing it. I'd never seen this picture before, and agree with you that it is the outstanding portrait of the 25 in that series. It was also interesting to see for the first time the "other" image of Churchill.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    Thanks for showing it. I'd never seen this picture before, and agree with you that it is the outstanding portrait of the 25 in that series. It was also interesting to see for the first time the "other" image of Churchill.
    You always hear about Portrait Photographers getting to the essence of a character. Like the combative photo of Churchill as the bull dog of England. Then you see the smiling Churchill and I start to think that a portrait only shows what the viewer thinks it shows.
    I also recently saw two of Eisenstadt's photos of Goebbels, the usual scowling threatening Goebbels sitting in the chair and the second photo of Goebbels smiling and looking up at a friend, looking ever so much like a Hollywood movie star.
    You never see the smiling Goebbels and so you never think he could be anything but malevolent.
    But if the other photo was the only one seen all the time, you would not think he was such a bad guy.
    Maybe if they had published the smiling photo of Churchill, England would have lost the war.
    OK that's a stretch but I am coming to the conclusion that showing the character of a subject is more what the viewer sees than what the character really is.
    In Gould's photo we see deep concentration and that fits with what we think we know of Gould's character. Karsh was skilled at reading the subjext but I think he was more skilled at reading the viewer.
    Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal View Post
    I just get distracted by his vocalization while playing. The playing is masterful, but hearing him humming in the background always diverts my attention.
    N
    Same here!

Anyway, it's a great picture, he has a certain playful, childlike quality- perhaps it's the lithe fingers and the totally uninhibited mannerisms. This photograph captures that. And his flexibility may have been designed specifically for JS Bach, who was known to strike a note with his nose or an elbow. In other words, the man was childlike and playful.

Incidentally I have heard that the new Perahia versions of the Goldbergs is genius, but I haven't heard the recording yet myself. Perahia had a hand injury that turned out to give him a lot of time to reconsider certain works, and apparently it made a profound difference in his interpretation.... which was already held in high esteem by most critics.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post

Incidentally I have heard that the new Perahia versions of the Goldbergs is genius, but I haven't heard the recording yet myself. .
    Thanks for mentioning that. I'll try to get a hold of a copy. I'll bet the Aria is amazing.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    And then there is Rosalyn Tureck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin