Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,929   Posts: 1,522,165   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Glenn Gould by Karsh

I work at the "Estrellita and Yousuf Karsh Emergency Department" at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario here in Ottawa. Several times every day I walk past 20 large Karsh portraits. Occasionally, when not in a huge rush, I stop and scrutinize one closely. It has taken me a long time, but I've finally decided why I particularly like the image of Glenn Gould the pianist:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/0...5350419_e.html

The version that hangs at work is a large print, about 20" x 24", cropped just below his elbow, burned much darker over the elbow drawing the viewer's eyes to his hands. All of Karsh's portraits are posed, of course, some staged in his studio, some on location at the subject's home or work. What I notice about Gould's portrait is that he seems to have forgotten that Karsh is there. His concentration on his piano piece is total, you can see the motion blur in his finger tips.

Masterful. I can choose to be in awe anytime I wish.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    ... What I notice about Gould's portrait is that he seems to have forgotten that Karsh is there. His concentration on his piano piece is total, you can see the motion blur in his finger tips.

Masterful. I can choose to be in awe anytime I wish.
    That is exactly why it is such an excellent photograph. Gould was that sort of pianist. I've read the Gould biography and own all of his recordings plus heard several interviews with Gould. It appears to me that he was the sort of genius who owes his performance brilliance to his ability to hyper-focus on the singular task at hand. It is easy to see how Gould could have actually forgotten that karsh was even in the room

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    thanks for sharing. that is one of my favorite shots of gould without a doubt.

if you are a fan of gould, jock carroll has a book comprised mostly of candids taken of a young glenn which show a nice range of his character from the hyperfocused pianist to the jocular thinker. well worth a look.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    After more than 50 years his 1955 recording of the Goldberg Variations is still in the Columbia (Sony) catalogue. And IMHO, it's still the best recording ever made of that piece.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm driving up from NYC in April to visit the Gould exhibit at the Canadian Museum of Civilization
    in Gatineau

http://www.civilization.ca:80/cmc/gould/gould01e.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    After more than 50 years his 1955 recording of the Goldberg Variations is still in the Columbia (Sony) catalogue. And IMHO, it's still the best recording ever made of that piece.

And what's more, I think every pianist who has attempted the piece ever since has been influenced by that seminal recording. I remember being baffled by the piece when my only exposure to it was a harpsichord version by Wanda Landowska, but after hearing Gould, the work was transformed for me. (Not that Landowska wasn't terrific, it's just that i wasn't ready at the time.)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite picture of Glen Gould shows a young man crouched down on the studio floor amongst a slew of mic stands. I can't find a link to it right now, and I don't know who took the picture, can anyone help me out?

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well I prefer the 82 version of the Goldberg Variations. Maybe becaus that's the year I was born?
    Seriously though, sure it's more eccentric, but in my mind, also more "deep".
    Anway back to photography...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    And what's more, I think every pianist who has attempted the piece ever since has been influenced by that seminal recording. I remember being baffled by the piece when my only exposure to it was a harpsichord version by Wanda Landowska, but after hearing Gould, the work was transformed for me. (Not that Landowska wasn't terrific, it's just that i wasn't ready at the time.)
    I never liked Landowska, but Anthony Newman's harpsichord version is right up there with Gould's to my ears.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just get distracted by his vocalization while playing. The playing is masterful, but hearing him humming in the background always diverts my attention.
    N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin