Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,959   Online: 945

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Lesser known great finds

I'd like to hear about some new photographers books that I might be missing, contemporary preferably, but no sense holding to that.

Some of mine are:

Dave Anderson's "Rough Beauty" excellent portraits and documentary of the poor of Vidor, Texas taken by a Keith Carter influenced genius.

Susan Lipper's "Trip" disarmingly simple but powerful stills from a road trip into the American scene of motels and such. Not for the classic minded.

William Wylie's "Riverwalk" Robert Adams influenced, but definitly his own survey of a Colorado river area done in the most beautiful long tonalities imaginable. Also very intelligent combination of the so called banal and the classic beautiful landscape.

Kevin Bubriski's "Portrait of Nepal" Extremely beautiful and unmatched portraits and print quality of people in remote areas of Nepal. This has got to be the gold standard of this genre.

Got any others I should check into? I'm not too informed, having just discovered Abelard Morell. So all suggestions are encouraged. Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

other photogs

if you have never seen any of Charlie Pratt's work then you are certainly missing out...his main book was something and the wilderrness...I have to look at the actual title at home and report back
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chek this out on NPR Today. how dificult are tin types to do?
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=18592716

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I remember having a book by a Charles Pratt many years ago. There was a shot of a cow lying down in the grass. Smooth long sweeping back. That the same guy?

The tintype guy was in National Geographic Dec. 2007

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    if you have never seen any of Charlie Pratt's work then you are certainly missing out...his main book was something and the wilderrness...I have to look at the actual title at home and report back
    Best, Peter

I have the Charles Pratt book too and I'd agree with Peter. It was published in 1982 and for those interested the title is "Charles Pratt Photographs" ISBN 0-89381-111-4
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This book I thought was interesting by George Forss. New York/New York masterworks of a street peddler. ISBN 0-07-018208-6 He is a street peddler that sells his prints of NY on the sidewalks for 6.00, 7.00 dollars, two for 10.00. Really enjoyed the book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just shows you that marketing is everything doesn't it?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charles Pratt "The Garden and the Wilderness" Horizon Press 1980. I also have a copy of the 1982 book Les mentioned. I see from the book that he died in 1976. And yes he did the cow picture. The older I get the more I like his take on the landscape.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Ray McSavaney, "Explorations". The year of its publication it was voted the most beautiful photography book of the year.The images evoke the quiet manner which all who know him associate with Ray.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks fellows. More please....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin