Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,187   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"Weegee Shootout 2008"

Figured I'd start a new thread on this since the resparking of the "Apug International Annual Wee Gee Shootout" thread.

Obviously, I like this idea. I don't mind people buying Press Cameras as a cheap way to get into large format one bit, but it does kind of leave me sad if they don't ever point it away from the trees and mountains, or remove it from the tri-pod and to let it roam free. In my experiences, I've had the most fun ever in photography using a big press camera shoot spontaneously.

So, I'm just going to kick it off with some random ideas I've had on the subject on how to go through with this.

1. I don't think we need to tie the name Weegee to it. "2008 Press Camera Shootout" or something to that effect could be more universal. I have plenty of books from the period from many other photographers then Weegee, and the images are still great. Even the one's shot during the day!

2. I'd be willing to buy a new domain once a good name is picked and host a web site on my server for this. A simple forum & gallery package is all we'd need initially. Simple to get rolling, and if it a success, would be great to expand for annual/semi-annual events.

3. Instead of one month as the original concept suggested, I think a three month period would be better for a round.

4. Some sort of voting scheme after a round. A handful of volunteer jurors, both photographers & non photographer maybe?

5. A prize for the winner. I got a couple of ideas that aren't horribly expensive.

- A book of photos could be a good item. Getting a second copy of the Weegee books, or the 1950 "Complete Book of Press Photography" that I own would be affordable, and be on topic.

- A box of 4x5 film for the winner.

- Hell, I'd be willing to give away a Speed Graphic if I could get hold of another one with lens for $100.

Some ideas on rules.

1) No Weegee-style standard. Tri-pods are cool, and so is not using a flash. I think the angle should be human interest with a big camera. I've worked fast without a flash, on a tripod covering events before, and got great results. And I've also seen a lot of handheld work that would have been better suited to use a tri-pod. So I don't think we should limit anyone to a specific technique to get a good story onto a sheet of film.

2) One official entry per person? We can set up a gallery to display as many shoots taken for the contest as we like to share & discuss, but when it comes down to the end. Only what the photographer thinks is their best from the shooting period should go against the judging. Agree? Disagree?

3) Camera limitations? I hate to exclude anyone who doesn't own a big press camera, but from my experiences, it just isn't the same experience, or the same results when using a 35mm. This will take some discussion to pin down where the cut off point on film format/camera style should be, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

That is all I got for now. I'd like to shoot for a May through July shooting period if possible. That should be long enough before hand to get our gear in order and take some warm up shots right?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    ok sounds good! Jump right in, get cher feet really wet, I have been doing my wee gee bit from time to time since the International post; even found a smokey cigar shop down town I didn t know existed, when I feel the need to accessorize!

I am using a crown graphic and a 90 mm and a xenar 135 f4.7, and a Heiland Flash-which I havent used yet, but have used a Vivitar 285.
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 02-20-2008 at 07:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    WHAT! No cigars? No #PH 50 screwbase flashbulbs? Tripods allowed??

I guess I'm a fool for nostalgia. I was quite drawn to the original hand held wee-gee idea. I'd even add the clock should stop at 1959 for lenses. Get out those Lanthar's.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, at least cigar chomping should be a requirement. No photographs accepted unless the photographer was chomping on a cigar (doesn't have to be lit, of course, and no one has to inhale). Cigar must be submitted with the image. Extra points for fedoras and trench coats.

And remember, never throw a lit cigar on the ground at the scene of a car crash, because there might be gasoline all over the road.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    WHAT! No cigars? No #PH 50 screwbase flashbulbs? Tripods allowed??

I guess I'm a fool for nostalgia. I was quite drawn to the original hand held wee-gee idea. I'd even add the clock should stop at 1959 for lenses. Get out those Lanthar's.

Agreed Jim, I traded a full box of 120 bulbs to J and C before I started this project so am in the market for some, just for the sake of interest etc. Thre are some NYC street photographers that still use the Crowns and the Flash for street portraits.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Yes, at least cigar chomping should be a requirement. No photographs accepted unless the photographer was chomping on a cigar (doesn't have to be lit, of course, and no one has to inhale). Cigar must be submitted with the image. Extra points for fedoras and trench coats..
    Should we require that the negatives be developed in the trunk of your car immediatly after shooting as well?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy View Post
    Should we require that the negatives be developed in the trunk of your car immediatly after shooting as well?
    Negatives should be developed in hot Dektol, printed wet, and the prints should be developed in the same Dektol.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjixxxy View Post
    And develop negatives in Dektol?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I use my Koni-Omega? In spirit it is sort of like a Speed, and the size is getting there too.

Matt

P.S. I'd have to resort to a Metz 60 series flash as well - is that big enough?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    And develop negatives in Dektol?
    Kodak use to package Dektol developer in their Tri Chem Packs that were included in their kits targeted for beginners. The Dektol Developer was to be used as a paper developer and for processing Verichrome Pan film. It was also a recommended developer for rapid speed films.

Gord

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin