Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,405   Online: 1053

Shooter
    35mm RF

Fidel, 1964 black & whites

New York Times, "3 Days With Fidel" A Fascinating slide show well worth watching: Castro on tour in the Cuban Boonies, photographs narrated by the photographer, Richard Eder. One of the opening images shows him loading, maybe, a Nikon F or SP?

Images
    Good Evening,

Check out the 1959 issue of Photography Annual published by Popular Photography. It contains several 1957 photos by Andrew St. George of the Cuban revolutionaries before they took control of the island. Tellingly perhaps, considering the subsequent course of events, the first photo (p. 15) depicts an execution. The accompanying notes indicate that St. George used a Plaubel Makina III for that shot, although the other photos in the series were shot with a Nikon SP. He also used Perutz Peromnia film. (I knew I'd have some use for that old photo annual if I just kept it around long enough!)

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Isn't there also a photo showing Che using a S2 or SP?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, copake - check out photographer Roberto Salas' site or my friend, Jack Kenny who photographed in Havana in the 90's and up to a few years ago, pub. a book, 'Cuba' http://www.jkennyphoto.com/ Note: Jack has a portrait by Salas of Che using a Nikon hanging in exhibit now, also many vintage prints by Salas for sale.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I picked up some postcards of Che hoisting a few different old cameras during a recent vacation there. I'm not well versed enough in retro gear to be able to tell what they are.

Che and Fidel were apparently very media-savvy in those heady early days; I recall reading a few paragraphs from one of the many books for sale there about "The Motorcycle Diaries" that Che was quite an expert poser.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder if Raul is searching thru his scrapbooks for some interesting candids from his earlier days. Just a random thought...

paulie

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin