Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,476   Online: 954

Thread: William Corey

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

William Corey

It is with deep regret and profound sadness to announce the passing of William Corey. William passed away at home after a lengthy illness. The world has lost a very talented photographer and artist. And I, a dear friend. RobertP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is indeed sad. I remember seeing his website some time ago. He made truly beautiful images.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So sorry to hear this Robert, my sympathy to you and his family.

Had just re-read the article that was in ViewCamera a while back, a gifted artist - a lose for all who enjoy beautiful work. May he live on in his work...RIP
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc View Post
    May he live on in his work...RIP
    I second this.

Corey made profoundly inspiring images.
    Wish I could have met him as I admired him immensely.

my heart goes out to his family and friends.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Matt. It was seeing his website and the article in VC that inspired me to try portraiture with my 5x12.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I am sorry to hear this. William was an inspiration. I can still see his 8x20 turned on its side. All my best to you and his family.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I am sorry to hear this. William was an inspiration. I can still see his 8x20 turned on its side. All my best to you and his family.

Jim
    Yes, his 8X20 vertical was such a beautiful format... so much like the Japanese art that he so powerfully evokes.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

I was devistated when I heard of his passing.

Several years ago I answered an add in the Denver paper for a Durst enlarger. I made the trip to Boulder and spent more than an hour visiting with William and meeting his wife and ended up buying it from him. Hell of a haul out of a cramped basement. I make no bones about my lack of excitement about color LF photography being a B&W guy, but William was so gracious in answering my questions and his work was so fabulous I found myself awestruck in his presence. William was the real deal and I was blown away with how creatively and with what connsumate precision he performed his craft. He was a master at what he did with one camera and one lens the likes of which rarely if ever come around.

I know some of his comments about how he approached his work will stay with me for a very long time as I will surely remember these each and every time I photograph.

This is one time when words are simply difficult to summon.....

I chose to believe that he is in a special place.

Obituary. RIP

William "Co-chan" Corey
    1949 - 2008
    William "Co-chan" Corey passed away on March 31, 2008. He was a 35-year Boulder resident. William was born in Kearny, New Jersey and grew up in New Brunswick NJ.

He graduated from Waynesburg College, PA, in 1971. He was a professional large format photographer who was considered the foremost western artist to photograph Japanese Gardens and the only western photographer ever invited to photograph the gardens of the Japanese Emperor. So accomplished was he that when the Emperor visited Denver in 1994 he was commissioned to make a special gift photograph of Colorado which he personally presented to the Emperor and Empress. The photograph now hangs in the Imperial Palace. His love for photography took him to many places in the US and Europe as well.

William is survived by the love of his life, Reimi Corey, parents Ralph and Gloria Garlick and sister, Claire Lecuona as well as countless wonderful friends.

A memorial celebration of his life will be held on Sunday, April 6th from 12-3 PM at 1275 Cherryvale Rd, Boulder. Memorial contributions or donations may be made to HospiceCare of Boulder at hospicecareonline.org or 303-604-5235.
    Published in the Daily Camera on 4/3/2008.
    Guest Book • Flowers • Gift Shop • Charities

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin