Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,244   Online: 881

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    One thing I don't understand is why he's selling the cameras.
    Allright, so he doesn't feel for photography anymore, that's easily understood, even Bresson did it,
    but why give away all his great equipment when he could, as he writes, miss it later in life?
    I hope he is not in any financial difficulty.

Here's a list of what he's "giving away". Totaling almost $14,000 should all of it sell for what he's asking or more, it makes sense to get the cash now, and buy another camera again someday if the urge or the need arises.

"Arca Swiss F line compact 8x10 with photobackpacker back pack, 15 cm rail to transport camera, Arca to linhof lensboard and 10 holders $4500

Schnieder Super Symmar XL 150 mm in perfect condition $1800

Nikon Nikkor 450 M f/9 in perfect condition $750 will cover 12x20

Rodenstock Sironar N 300 mm in perfect condition $600

Schnieder Rodagon G 355 mm will cover 12x20 $700 in copal 3 shutter in perfect condition.

Schnieder Rodagon G 240 mm with scratch on the back element $250 will cover 8x10

Gitzo CF 1548 tripod with 1570 magnesium head $800, a little bit beat up but still looking great.

Wisner 12x20P camera with 2 S&S holders, Wisner to Linhof lens board and Saitta bag $4300

Hasselbald Kit which includes:
    501 cm body
    80 mm lens
    50 mm lens
    150 mm lens
    2 magazine backs
    Lens shade
    grip
    Leather case"
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    One thing I don't understand is why he's selling the cameras.
    Allright, so he doesn't feel for photography anymore, that's easily understood, even Bresson did it,
    but why give away all his great equipment when he could, as he writes, miss it later in life?
    I hope he is not in any financial difficulty.
    I kind of think that in some ways having a serious illness like Jorge had, can change your perspective on things, if not in the all to often seen "right now" dramatic course changing type way that alot of people go thru. This coupled with God knows what concerning the pitfalls of running a photographic business and how it can play on your nerves and health, as well as how other opportunities can come along, have apparently lead him down other paths. So it can come to a point that these material things we have come to mean less and less to us other then as an opportunity to take their value and finance other adventures. Good for him; I hope things work out to his advantage and he stays healthy. I also know of a few others around here and elsewhere that have bowed out without fanfare to pursue different paths if not different artistic mediums. I've personally sold off half my stuff realizing that as an enthusiast you really don't need as much as you think you do to enjoy the pastime.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think he means "G Claron" instead of Rodagon G.

Just the other day, after I built this Mamiya RB67 setup, I was thinking about how much I have and how little I use most of it. I have camera "systems" from 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 to 8x10 with mulitple cameras in each. That's way too much equipment, and although I'm not quitting I still don't need that much equipment. It's easy to become a "collector" of sorts. When you can get complete camera systems for hundreds that originally cost thousands it can get out of control. I agree that you don't need as much as you think, look at some of the early photographers, ie Edward Weston, Paul Strand and others.

Curt

My spell checker and tools don't work now, after the upgrade.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Interesting point Curt.... some days I feel like getting it down to 1 camera and 2 or 3 lenses. Be a bit of a change since right now I have 3 MF systems.
    -Rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I think he means "G Claron" instead of Rodagon G.
    He does, and has said so.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format

gasteazoro

Well folks I think"news of his departure have been gretly exagerated"

He put all his equipment up for sale and I made an offer on his Arca Swiss to which he agreed I waited for him to send me the information to wire the money but instead after few days he emailed me and said he had changed his mind and was staying with photography.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Passion runs deep

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Hi all, Diane Maher sent me an e mail that she found out I was quitting photography here on APUG, I was surprised and decided to register and bid you all a fond goodbye, I wish you all much success with your photographic endeavours.

For me, at the moment, photography has run it's course and it is time to move on to something else. Never the less, I have kept my 8x10 just in case the desire springs up again.

Keep up the good fight and buy LOTS film so that it is still available in case I decide to take it up again.

Best of Luck,

Jorge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So long (err, adios).

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    At least you seem to have left the door unlocked, Jorge. I look forward to your next post on the forum !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin