Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,495   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brett Weston

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought that some would enjoy the site, I see a Rollei and an RB, what he view camera is I can't tell. The RB gets a heavier wood tripod while the Rollei gets the lighter metal one.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In the book, "Interviews with great photographers" by James Danziger and Barnaby Conrad III, published 1978 has Brett was the last photographer. Barnaby asks "Have you used small cameras since then? (After Military's days)
    Brett answers, "The last nine years I've used the SL-66 Rollei and the RB Mamiya 2.25 x 3.75. They are magnificently flexible but generally I use a small view camera on a tri-pod. I still use the 8x10 sporadically and for a twenty-year period I used an 11x14. A change of pace in cameras is a very healthy thing. A man need a change."
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the book, "Interviews with great photographers" by James Danziger and Barnaby Conrad III, published 1978 has Brett was the last photographer. Barnaby asks "Have you used small cameras since then? (After Military's days)
    Brett answers, "The last nine years I've used the SL-66 Rollei and the RB Mamiya 2.25 x 3.75. They are magnificently flexible but generally I use a small view camera on a tri-pod. I still use the 8x10 sporadically and for a twenty-year period I used an 11x14. A change of pace in cameras is a very healthy thing. A man need a change."

That's some great information Robert, thank you for sharing it with us.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but those interested in Brett and his work should have a look at the recently published, "Out of the Shadow" catalog. The catalog accompanies a traveling exhibition of his work organized by The Phillips Collection and the Oklahoma City Museum of Art.

www.okcmoa.com

www.phillipscollection.org

A little added trivia to the photos of Brett taken by Mathias; that is a Baco Jr. tripod head Brett is using with the LF camera. He used the larger Baco with the Ansco and Calumet 8x10's.

It is true that Brett did very little large camera work after his arm was weakened by a spider bite in 1979. He relied mostly on the aforementioned RB and SL-66 cameras.

Lastly, and most important, his favorite drink at snake time was bourbon (usually Jim Beam) and for lunch break it was beer, to wash down the sardines and hardtack.

mergross.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Gosh! I really hope and wish that the Out of the Shadows show comes to Portland. I even travel to Seattle or Tacoma to see it.
    I had always wondered by Brett's term of "Snake Bit time" until I asked Martha Casanave and she filled in the gap for me. DUH! Me know so smart sometimes.
    I Love Brett's work!
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Robert, Merle Armitage describes the origin of the snake reference in the film Art Wright made about Brett.

I don't know where the show will travel after Santa Barbara, but Portland would be a natural. Brett, as you probably know, loved Oregon and even purchased land near Eugene to build on. Hawaii won out. He had good friends in Oregon, Bernie and Jerry Robinson come to mind.

Merg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    rb in several
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Robert, Merle Armitage describes the origin of the snake reference in the film Art Wright made about Brett.

I don't know where the show will travel after Santa Barbara, but Portland would be a natural. Brett, as you probably know, loved Oregon and even purchased land near Eugene to build on. Hawaii won out. He had good friends in Oregon, Bernie and Jerry Robinson come to mind.

Merg
    I've met Jerry several times at his home. He has three 20x24 (They may have been 16x20's)Brett prints on his wall. Jerry says Brett rarely printed that large. Then Jerry pulled out his Brett collection. Damn!
    Last edited by Robert Brummitt; 06-20-2008 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the great information on a great photographer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Robert, I thought you might know Jerry. His 2006 book "Photography, History & Science" has a good chapter on Edward and Brett. I have not seen him since Brett's 80th birthday celebration, hope he is well.

Brett did make 20x24 prints, however not many. They were made quite late in his career. I bet Jerry's collection is a feast for the eyes!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin