Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,368   Online: 772

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Art is subjective - that's the obvious part.

There will always be a group ( considering themselves 'eclectic') that will force themselves to identify with what a majority finds sloppy/offensive, etc. It's almost like an extension of kids' "rebelling" in their teen years; as I've called it, the expression of "individuality" en masse, which is in itself rather comical to me.

This guy has a following that supports him - laugh at it for what it really is and truck on.

Perhaps a modern Rasputin?

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't have any problem with his methods or his output (as far I can see). I mean it is what it is, take it or leave it. If you find it creepy and voyeuristic then the next guy will say that's the whole point. So I won't say that it is creepy and voyeuristic.

I do definitely wonder about the state of modern photography, though, if this is all it takes to be considered creative / original / eclectic / eccentric. I suppose that this whole primitive photography thing has to eventually rise in opposition to the digital culture of overprocessed perfection.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    ha, never heard of him before, how come? excellent stuff. bookmarking now

(hmmm... looks like i'm "the next guy." yes, that is the whole point )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love it!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's cool.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think its actually our very own Jbrunner. He works with a makeup artist to create the look of a homeless man.

brilliant J. Sorry to let the cat outta the bag... but I just couldn't hold it in.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    After doing a little research, it sounds like nothing more than a sickening story of manipulation and greed, by the charlatans that "discovered" Tichy. The found this manipulable old character with his pervy photos, scooped the photos up for a few bucks, and promoted him as the next big thing, so the photos could be sold for big money. Throw in a few insecure addle-brained curators, and you have the new flavor of the month. I like and respect a lot of contemporary art, but sometimes people need to grow a pair and call bullshit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "They constitute a large oeuvre of poetic, dreamlike views of feminine beauty in a small town under the Czechoslovak Communist régime."

Well, I can honestly say I have never seen that before.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oddly enough I think the pictures really do have something more than just technical shortcomings - and I can see thae exactly these shortcomings are part of the whole work as art. As often each individual picture is bad, but put several together and they start to grow on you (me, at least).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are good in group and it is usually prudent to ignore what the promoters and critiques say about any work until you've formed your own opinion. How they found him or what they say about his work should have little or no bearing on whether or not the work is art to *your* eye.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin