Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,800   Online: 1171

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ansell Adams prints were full of 'defects' too, don't see anyone slamming him.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Art critics and art entrepeneurs are, IMO "real works." Was it Dean Swift who wrote about the critics and "interpreters" "who see more in Homer than what Homer wrote?"
    For mine own self, if I wish to see what a crippled elderly man without modern equipment could tell us about art photography in Communist Czecholsovakia, I'll go back to Josef Sudek.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used to like the bits and pieces of his work that I had seen on the net. I eventually found an inexpensive book of his and was completely underwhelmed when it arrived. All sense of wonder disappeared and it just felt like a collection of crappy lo-fi photos. I must be losing it because I'd rather look at a cyanotype of fruit in a bowl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh my gods, this man is a real genius! His photographs are in the
    same league as Havel's dramas, and his world view seems to be
    every bit as sophisticated. Tichy should become the next president
    of Czechistan. He's possibly a bit old, though, but so is John
    McCain.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    I must be losing it because I'd rather look at a cyanotype of fruit in a bowl.
    Absolutely quotable
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think a few of those photos are great.
    His dedication to creating his style of art is what is truly inspiring, though
    Art is nothing more than inspiration

Plenty of people on the internet talk a good game and probably take some photos of which some are surely pretty fair
    Plenty are definitely rubbish
    Only a few are likely truly great

People take dianas out and shoot
    This guy has an even worse -possibly- camera
    and the rest of his equipment might not be any better
    This guy probably really enjoys what he's doing
    Give someone here his equipment and they wouldn't allow themselves to be seen in public let alone let their work with such a camera
    he's producing art on a daily basis with it
    good or bad art
    art the same

He's living in a time warp
    more photographic inventor than consumer
    and that's really neat, to me
    He represents the First Photographer. Caveman walking around with garbage in his hands clubbing cavewomen over the head (with camera) and somehow makes magic with it back in the darkness of his cave

Pervert? Like there are any guys here who have never taken a photo of a chick before. please.
    Seen one seem them all, right?
    If you take one photo of a girl solely because she is a chick you're the same as this dude. period.

how many "nude female forms" do we see? please.

he photographs life
    life is a bit "perverted"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art doesn't have to be great. It can be subtle, shallow, interesting, comical, twisted, mundane and on and on. If we will only accept as art those things that are great or better we miss the vast majority of all the good stuff out there and we accept, in our own way, the ethos of the art promoters that we all deride.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just saw that other Apug link Ian Leake pointed to

Saw this one
    That's a fantastic and beautiful photo, IMO. As good as any Minor White.
    Last edited by sun of sand; 10-02-2008 at 06:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well at least he is original. With the Guggenheim hanging a Photograph of a photograph it would seem anything goes.
    the more I look at Tichy's stuff the more I get it. I will stop short of saying I like it because that is not a Strong enough word. his stuff is creepy and voyeuristic I think that is the point.
    to address the original post: Tichy is not the guy to lead a zone system work shop. This work is not about that type of craftsmanship.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    After doing a little research, it sounds like nothing more than a sickening story of manipulation and greed, by the charlatans that "discovered" Tichy. The found this manipulable old character with his pervy photos, scooped the photos up for a few bucks, and promoted him as the next big thing, so the photos could be sold for big money.
    This seems to be the case with more than a bit of what is sometimes presented as "outsider" art. Of which this seems to be a classic example. And why shouldn't a pervy homeless stalker with a homemade camera get a gallery showing? Makes as much sense as anything else. The thing I like about this sort of art is that unlike a lot of "real" contemporary art, when it works it's like getting a glimpse right into the inside of someone else's head, in a direct, unedited way. Which can be disturbing and weird, because it works against the conscious control we normally try to exhibit in our daily lives.

So yeah, he's a pervy homeless stalker, but the pictures are still cool.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin