Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,629   Online: 1090

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well put.

At least the work is pushing boundaries, there's a husband and wife team in the US who's whole purpose is exquisitely printed mediocrity . . . . . .

Ian

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    That's very well put but luckily it's a broad enough medium to encompass all points of view.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I simply don't see how MW was invoked. I see no connection, to be honest. The subject matter and the capture and print techniques seem entirely unrelated.

And now I don't see how Motherwell was invoked either, his work is far more calligraphic and abstract, in my estimation.

Why don't we compare Tichy to Winogrand? :rolleyes: I mean, if you are going to compare totally different things then you're going to have to help us simpletons out a bit.... connect some dots...
    I wasn't comparing tichy to minor white

Why Motherwell
    I don't see that kind of abstraction in Winogrands photos. Don't know a whole lot of abstractionist photographers by name. I see that photo as a composition of elements ..not of a ladies back or car or as some kind of emotional story to be read. I am not tying Tichy to Robert Motherwells art or statements ..just this photo to his compositional ability. I believe that photo shoes a great eye but if nothing else the eye of at least an artist of some real calibre.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    ... I don't see that kind of abstraction in Winogrands photos. Don't know a whole lot of abstractionist photographers by name. ...
    That's odd - I got to thinking and now I think that abstraction is part of the Czech tradition. While completely different, there is something that reminds me of František Drtikol...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    I don't see that kind of abstraction in Winogrands photos.
    Oh okay. Well, the reason why I mention Garry Winogrand is the subject matter, not the actual photographic nor print technique, nor the degree of abstraction.

In a fair number of GW's photos one finds an informal, central, "beautiful" female subject. And quite often there is the feeling (to me) that his street photographs are taken somewhat spontaneously and surreptitiously... as if to imply both physical and emotional distance between the subject and the photographer. That aspect is what reminded me of GW, in Tichy's work.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    František Drtikol

Frantisek Kupka

Orphism
    same time period
    not the kupka I wanted to show but can't find it.
    Last edited by sun of sand; 10-02-2008 at 06:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Oh okay. Well, the reason why I mention Garry Winogrand is the subject matter, not the actual photographic nor print technique, nor the degree of abstraction.

In a fair number of GW's photos one finds an informal, central, "beautiful" female subject. And quite often there is the feeling (to me) that his street photographs are taken somewhat spontaneously and surreptitiously... as if to imply both physical and emotional distance between the subject and the photographer. That aspect is what reminded me of GW, in Tichy's work.

I guess I have more homework

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Well put.

At least the work is pushing boundaries, there's a husband and wife team in the US who's whole purpose is exquisitely printed mediocrity . . . . . .

Ian
    OUCH! Can't say I disagree. I have been scratching my head on this one for years....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Ansell Adams prints were full of 'defects' too, don't see anyone slamming him.
    This is very true! A friend of mine worked for one of the premier Ansel Adams dealers in the US and he remarked quite often at how poorly the prints were spotted. I have noticed it too numerous times.

Anyone that thinks a photograph has to be technically perfect to be a work of art should just hang up their spurs right now. Too often the pursuit of technical perfection results in perfect mediocrity. I will take expression over perfection any day.

Peoples reactions to these images is interesting to me as well because I believe you can tell an extraordinary amount about a person as a result of his presumptions concerning the content of Tichy's work. Is he a lecherous dirty old man? Is he one of the most virtuous, irreproachable men walking the face of the earth? Surely the truth lies somewhere in between those extremes.

My only hope after reading about him is that he has benefitted in some way by his work and hasn't been ripped off as so happens to "discoveries" in the art world.

I find his work beautiful regardless of the reasons and methods he used to make it, and regardless of the kind of person he is.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post

Anyone that thinks a photograph has to be technically perfect to be a work of art should just hang up their spurs right now. Too often the pursuit of technical perfection results in perfect mediocrity. I will take expression over perfection any day.

Patrick
    FWIW I agree wholeheartedly, but my particular taste is for controlled imperfection in pursuit of a particular aim. Tichy says in the Buxbaum produced and directed doco/promo that one way to be famous is to be the worst in the world at something. If that is his aim and his expression he succeeds IMHO. Nothing in his work seems under control.

As well some of his cameras are on display at the Sydney show and frankly I do not believe that a photograph of any sort could be taken with any of them by anybody including Tichy. It is possible that he hasn't used them for years and that they have been buried in the backyard -- for that is the only explanation that I can suggest for their condition -- and exhumed for his various shows. Check out the website; how does a camera get quite that decrepit without trickery?

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There seem to be all sorts of assumptions here about some people's reasons for being unexcited about Tichy. I don't care if he's a pervert or a genius recluse pursuing his own path. I have an affinity for both! The only thing that matters is whether or not I feel compelled to keep looking at his photos. In my case, I was bored before I had reached the end of the book the first time I saw it. Ornette Coleman once remarked some thing to the effect of: the only thing that matters in art is one's emotional response. For me, Tichy doesn't hit e in any particular way. I'm not in love and I'm not disgusted.

Jmal

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin