Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,633   Online: 1333

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Agree Jmal,

Back when I was a child growing up in Moscow I saw Sudek's work...

A lot of time went by , I mean decades, and then I saw one of his half full glasses with small bubbles with light play in the water that just made you forget time and place , it brought that same feeling I had when I new nothing about photography or the artist. That work of art was just there without any explanation, without any story, without a need to know what it is it was supposed to be , no one had to write to explain it .

I am sorry, but if you have to know the story of an 82 year old man's life to appreciate his art then art has failed to me...

The story should be something you want to know after the work spoke to you and you want to know more , but if the story comes first before the art then sell a novel and not pictures.

One or two of Tichy's that I saw link's to here have an attempt to do so , but as a group ,like someone said ,the work fails to keep my attention independent from knowing his story.

One of the writers on line compared him to Van Gough in the way he was discovered , saying that this man is alive to enjoy his new found fame and that is the biggest difference between the two artists , I just could not believe what I was reading , when I was a kid and saw for the first time THE sunflowers , I had the same reaction I had to Sudek's light ... the work of Tychi just does not stir up the soul...

Ilya,

and this is just my old penny

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Well put.

At least the work is pushing boundaries, there's a husband and wife team in the US who's whole purpose is exquisitely printed mediocrity . . . . . .

Ian
    Made my day!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Large Format

Beautiful Tichy Collection for sale

Hi,
    I have a beautiful collection of Miroslav Tichy photographs and drawings for sale.
    Please do not hesitate to contact me on this forum for further info.
    Best, Susan

Shooter
    Large Format

Beautiful Tichy Collection for sale

Hi, I have just seen your entry from 2008!!! I am looking to sell a beautiful Tichy Collection - drawings and photographs, but there is also one of his camera's included. Maybe you can help. I see his camera is drawing your attention.
    Pls let me know if I can provide more info.
    Best. Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Have you seen his home made camera?

http://img.radio.cz/pictures/c/foto/tichy_m/tichy.jpg

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    tichy's images are like visual poetry.
    not many people alive or dead are able
    to do what he did with or without a camera ..

so to answer the title of this thread: miroslav tichy -- why?
    i will say .. it is because he wanted to, and i would much rather look
    at his work than grand landscapes or mundane streetscapes or other things.

i guess the real answer is: why not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    tichy's images are like visual poetry.
    not many people alive or dead are able
    to do what he did with or without a camera ..

so to answer the title of this thread: miroslav tichy -- why?
    i will say .. it is because he wanted to, and i would much rather look
    at his work than grand landscapes or mundane streetscapes or other things.

i guess the real answer is: why not?
    Or simply because he could. I agree with your sentiment here jnanian. This thread and another one about WW1 battlefield pinholes really surprises me. For a forum so full of people involved in an expressive medium, so many are so wrapped up in their anoraks to see the beauty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    Or simply because he could. I agree with your sentiment here jnanian. This thread and another one about WW1 battlefield pinholes really surprises me. For a forum so full of people involved in an expressive medium, so many are so wrapped up in their anoraks to see the beauty.

beauty is a subjective thing .. just like art
    one person's art is another man junk
    and some wo/men people say are "utterly beautiful"
    well, i don't have the same perspective i guess

Shooter
    Multi Format
    in case someone hasn't seen this little documentary on Tichy - it's not very 'hyped' but a 'slice of life' docu:

http://youtu.be/l-jkDwt1Fls

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is an old saying, "One does not have to love the cow to like its milk." The composer Richard Wagner was from contemporary accounts a thoroughly disagreeable man yet he wrote some of the most sublime music ever written.

I would have to see more of Tichy's work before I could decide whether it is good or not.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 06-22-2013 at 02:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    There is an old saying, "One does not have to love the cow to like its milk." The composer Richard Wagner was from contemporary accounts a thoroughly disagreeable man yet he wrote some of the most sublime music ever written.

I would have to see more of Tichy's work before I could decide whether it is good or not.
    I saw an extensive exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney. I didn't wear my anorak, whatever that is. As well as the prints were his cameras and enlarger, and--to repeat--I have a profound disbelief in any of them producing any image apart from a lightstruck piece of film. On show as well a video produced by his patron/discoverer/beneficiary.

Why? Why would a respectable major gallery allow curation of an exhibition by a photographer so inept, apart from the possibility that he was in vogue at the time in the airy realms of esoteric fine art posers encouraged by his ghost snapper (who I can't imagine would be unrewarded). It's the Emperor's New Clothes to me, I'm afraid.

I believe strongly in creative, purposeful "degradation" of the super perfect images that modern cameras produce BTW. This is not that, it's just sloppiness (and pervy into the bargain).

Tichy=Sudek? What an awful thing to suggest.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin