Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,545   Online: 884

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    Why? Why would a respectable major gallery allow curation of an exhibition by a photographer so inept, apart from the possibility that he was in vogue at the time in the airy realms of esoteric fine art posers encouraged by his ghost snapper (who I can't imagine would be unrewarded). It's the Emperor's New Clothes to me, I'm afraid.

I believe strongly in creative, purposeful "degradation" of the super perfect images that modern cameras produce BTW. This is not that, it's just sloppiness (and pervy into the bargain).
    I don't think anything of his pictures, but completely understand their new appeal. It's to do with the current anxiety about voyeurism and a new interest in naive art. In terms of the latter, the lack of intent in 'craft' is almost a prerequisite.

Pictures have to represent an idea, tap into the concerns of the time we live in and convey something beyond photography and have for a very long time now. Nu-Modernist concerns with mere light and form and making prints which counter-intuitively attempt to match or better digital images remains a conservative 'underground' niche. With the exception of Mitch Dobrovner, this type of new-classical photography very rarely 'breaks through'.

Here's a very important point from On Being a Photographer:

David Hurn: Many people are interested in photography in some nebulous way; they might be interested in the seemingly glamorous lives of top fashion or war photographers; or in the acquisition and admiration of beautiful, functional machines, the cameras; or in the arcane ritual of the darkroom processes; or in the persona which they could adopt if only they took pictures like . . . whoever. But these interests, no matter how personally enjoyable they might be, never lead to the person becoming a photographer. The reason is that photography is only a tool, a vehicle, for expressing or transmitting a passion in something else. It is not the end result.
    It's not enough to simply explore the medium anymore. If you're only interested in the medium of photography, you'll find that you're blind to a lot of important work made with a camera.
    Last edited by batwister; 06-23-2013 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I said 'mere light and form' I meant that it is possible to have a photographic concern with these things, as well as an idea about what it is you're trying to convey through concentrating on particular subject matter. Art has always been about ideas, and photography in the art world is no different.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i think it is extremely funny ( and he did too ) what is being read into his photographs.

when art historians and gallerists read into things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wWUc8BZgWE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    Why? Why would a respectable major gallery allow curation of an exhibition by a photographer so inept,
    Lisette Model once replied to criticism of her work, "Darling, if you think my prints are bad you should see my negatives."
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People can fault his technique or make fun of his homemade cameras or even make fun of his appearance BUT the fact remains that he made photographs. Despite obvious hardship he has amassed a body of work that is distinctly his own. One that other people appreciate. How many on APUG can say the same for themselves. He did not waste his time in mindless testing of films or in the endless search for the perfect developer. He went out and mirabile dictu actually took pictures. I think there is a lesson here.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    People can fault his technique or make fun of his homemade cameras or even make fun of his appearance BUT the fact remains that he made photographs. Despite obvious hardship he has amassed a body of work that is distinctly his own. One that other people appreciate. How many on APUG can say the same for themselves. He did not waste his time in mindless testing of films or in the endless search for the perfect developer. He went out and mirabile dictu actually took pictures. I think there is a lesson here.

well said. perspective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i think it is extremely funny ( and he did too ) what is being read into his photographs.

when art historians and gallerists read into things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wWUc8BZgWE
    If life were indeed like that. But I don't think that some would change.

BTW I don't believe that I made Tichy's cameras objects of amusement, I just can't see, and I did see them in the flesh, how anyone could get any image with them. And what's with all the coating of ordure or whatever it is? Do beaten up cameras really look like that? Not in my local St. Vincent de Paul shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very well put, Gerald - I could not agree more

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ross - how a camera looks from the outside rarely affect the magic that can come from it when used in the right way... much like people...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin