Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,959   Online: 955

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Heh, like and inspired by are two quite different things, at least for me. I am inspired by primarily the work of Brett Weston, but I *like* a large number of photographers works, although there are few, if any, who's entire body of work I like. I tend to like *some* of any given person's work, but not *all* of it, and for some I only like a few specific prints. For example I like a good deal of Ansel Adams' work, and I appreciate his contributions to photography and his skill as a photographer, but I don't find much inspiration there - I'm just not a landscape type of guy. I just get a lot more out of some of the flower pictures made by Imogen Cunningham than I get from the face of Half Dome and while Hernandez if a powerful print, some of the abstract prints of Brett Weston hit me like a physical blow.

I like *some* of the work done by the following people (in no particular order): Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Imogen Cunningham, Minor White, Paul Camponigro, Robert Mapplethorpe, William Mortensen, Lewis Hine, Edward Steichen, Alfred Stieglitz, Timothy O'Sullivan, Edward Curtis, Charles Sheeler, Weegee, O. Winston Link, and a number of others who's name elude me at the moment, as well as a number of people here on this forum to be quite honest. I also think that there are a number of people here who are doing some amazing stuff, just outstanding work, that is very strong and very worthy of more recognition that it receives and much of which gives me a great deal of inspiration and joy.

- Randy
    Last edited by reellis67; 08-12-2008 at 09:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i'm mostly influenced by things i find in junk stores by unknowns,
    and by early photographs ( pre 1860s ) .

if i had to put a name to this one would be eugene atget .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Paul Strand
    , Edward Weston, Paul Caponigro, Aaron Siskind and Minor White, are the photographers I admire most.

André

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.stephanvanfleteren.com

A talent and every week top quality images of him in the newspaper "Zeno, De Morgen"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm inspired by a lot of different people, particularly Anton Corbijn and Bruce Davidson. I'm also inspired by some of the work I see on here!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I grew up in southern California during the 50s and 60s and spent much time in Yosemite and the area now called the Ansel Adams Wilderness on many weekends and vacations. If I lived there now, it doubtful I could afford all the film I'd shoot.

I'd have to say Ansel Adams.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmolligo View Post
    2 posts and some great ones so far.
    I tend to forget about some of those guys.
    A side thought in regard to Capa - I understand the military lab ruined most of the film he shot on D-Day (I don't think a free replacement roll cuts it in a situation like that).
    Thanks.

The pix that were released had to be screened by the military, but I don't know if the lab was actually a military lab. I believe the film was cooked by a Life darkroom tech (who went on to have a career in photography, if I remember correctly). All the medium format was ruined, but about a dozen frames from the 35mm had something on them. What a photographic/historical loss!

P.S. I believe I misspelled Winogrand by using two Ns!
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-12-2008 at 03:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes 2F/2F it's quite a loss. Can you just imagine what might have been on those frames?! I would say also that you are probably correct in that it was a Life darkroom tech (I only had vague details on this story).
    John Molligo
    jmolligo@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Margaret Bourke-White, John Gutmann, Gordon Parks & Paul Strand are the four that would top my list. There are tons that have influenced and amazed me, starting with Ansel back when I was a kid. Usually there are specific photos rather than photographers, but the four I listed are just amazing to me 99 times out of 100!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin