Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,265   Online: 912

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Who do you love?

After bouncing around this site for several months - I would have to say that some of the best photographers in the world today are either subscribers or members here.

I was wondering what photographers you guys/gals like or are inspired by.

Personally I've always been partial to Henri Cartier-Bresson and Diane Arbus.
    More currently - I'm pretty impressed by the lith prints of Tim Rudman.

Hope this is not an overworked question - I looked for a similar one in the search and did not find one. I guess the moderators can cancel this post if it is.
    John Molligo
    jmolligo@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am particularly inspired by Lee Friedlander, Ernst Haas, Robert Frank, and Willy Ronis at this time. Haas and Friedlander are the masters, in my opinion. A lot of what and how I see and shoot has a lot in common with them. I really like Robert Capa's stuff as well, and also Garry Winnogrand's. I like both of these guys for their seemingly haphazard attack with the camera. I go back and forth with Cartier-Bresson's work. I have to be in the right mood for it, but when I am, I love it to death. For more still and/or staged things, I like Mapplethorpe a lot, and Ansel Adams. I can't imagine myself doing any work remotely like theirs, but I love what they did.

Also, if you can't be inspired by your own pix, a lot of the joy of photography is lost, IMO. Thus, I am constantly editing, printing, reprinting, etc. my own pix as well. This gives me new ideas, so I guess you could say they are somewhat inspiring.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-12-2008 at 04:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My most recent inspirations have been Garry Winogrand, Jonas Bendiksen and Bruce Gilden. Trent Parke has always inspired me, especially being an australian.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    2 posts and some great ones so far.
    I tend to forget about some of those guys.
    A side thought in regard to Capa - I understand the military lab ruined most of the film he shot on D-Day (I don't think a free replacement roll cuts it in a situation like that).
    John Molligo
    jmolligo@gmail.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Oh and I forgot Robert Frank of course. The Americans was the first photo book I bought, and I still look at it every day. Am going to order Peru when I next buy something from Amazon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    W. Eugene Smith, Robert Frank, Eliot Erwitt, HCB...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Barry Thornton and Lord Snowdon are my favourites

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    U Atget, A Adams, L W Hine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Edward Weston, Paul Caponigro, Don McCullin and Gary Winogrand are my favourites.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a bunch of people on Flickr that inspire me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin