Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,550   Online: 928

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!!!

hi, i have no idea where to put this so i figured here is the best bet (i hope im right). anyway, im going to photograph for a newspaper(not a fancy one, if u know what i mean) (ive always wanted to) as a photographer/digital editor/ mabey writer. i was hoping for some tips on the kind and teachniqe of newspaper photos are taken. right now, im 99% sure they dont even have a photographer, but instaed, resort to some poory focused pictures with their slr or snapshoot cameras, i will most likely be using my vivicam 3.3 mp digital camera because they are not sure they will reiburse me for film (both me and them are little short for film money). They have about 7 photos in the newspaper, most were taken off the internet, stories left without pictures, and mabey 1 taken by them (im not trying to insult but its kinda sad). any tips? write em' in the fourm, PM me, E-mail, anything please, thx.

(P.S. VERY short news paper come out once a month)
    paintball+Hiking+rock climbing+ photography- the crazy things you see or hear out night photograping= a great time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What grade are you in?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Does it matter?
    paintball+Hiking+rock climbing+ photography- the crazy things you see or hear out night photograping= a great time

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You will probably get a better response if you use a more informative title like "Photojournalism" instead of "HELP!!!" and if you format your posts using capital letters at the beginning of each sentence and paragraph breaks.

That said, start looking at the work of the classics, like Weegee (Arthur Fellig--Read _Naked City_), Robert Capa, Henri Cartier-Bresson. Some of the contemporary photojournalists that I like are Martin Schoeller (frequently in _The New Yorker_), Sylvia Plachy (_Village Voice_), and Susan Meiselas (Magnum--see particularly her book on Nicaragua). Look at the Magnum website for lots of excellent work:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/Home_MAG.aspx

APUG is mainly for discussion of analog techniques, but for digital, you should definitely take a look at:

http://digitaljournalist.org/contents.html
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

hey nightphoto hunter, really strange because im in the same perdicament(hopefully i spelled that right).

When I wanted to be a photojournalist I just looked at the work in print that I admired and emulated that. Seemed to be working pretty well.

Then I enrolled in journalism courses in college and discovered I was doing things, if not all wrong, not very well.

Unfortunately I can't think of a way to condense several years of experience in J-school and newspaper work into a single post.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

soory for the "HELLP!!!" title but i was kinda in a rush and wasnt thinking well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Now Eric, bubba.....c`mon. Lets not go down the PN road. ok?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jorge I was trying to best answer this request with information suited to the audience. Nothing more.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin