Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,785   Online: 979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barry Thornton

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It is reported on the pure-silver list and on his web site that Barry Thornton has passed away in his hotel room on Sat the 25th after a workshop. His shop is now closed.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format

Condolences for Mr. Thornton's family can be expressed at his web site:

http://www.barry-thornton.co.uk/main.htm

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="dnmilikan"Does anyone know his age?

Not off hand but I may be able to make a guestimate from one of his books. Whatever individuals' opinions of Barry were (and I do not hold any because I never met or spoke to him although I have bought chemicals from him and bought his books ) he did try to make people who were interested enough to read his books, think about their photography and the materials they were using so that they could get the results they wanted and the photographs they had visualised. Les also does this in his own style which is different to Barry Thornton's approach. We are all influenced to some degree by the knowledge and experience of others when it is imparted to us and Barry will be missed, not least by those who have attended his popular workshops.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A round of DiXactol for the house!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I consider his "Edge of Darkness" to be one of the better photo books - i've read it twice. Only in his 50's, quite a loss for the photographic community, as well as to his family.

That really is too bad. I too enjoyed some of his writings. My thoughts as well to the family.

Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I know his books helped me sort out a lot of things and DiXactol is a standing favorite (pending Pyrocat trials) - I will miss him.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Although i tend to avoid concentrating too much on a particular photographer's styles and teachings for fear of becoming a clone, I find myself repeatedly returning to Barry Thornton's books and other writings - because they are so good. He was willing to help with questions and never too precious to reply to emails.

David, can you make mine an exactol lux? I've got work in the morning

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In case no one has been to the website, there is a posted notice that the shop WILL re-open following the settlement of some legal problems from Barry not leaving a will. GOOD News
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin