Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,997   Online: 1129

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clyde Butcher

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Georgia APUGGERS!
    Clyde Butcher has a exhibit at the Museum of Arts and Sciences in Macon.
    http://www.masmacon.com/

Clyde's Traveling Exhibit:
    Visions for the Next Millennium
    Museum of Arts & Sciences
    Macon, GA - (478) 477-3232
    December 21-February 15, 2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a very good exhibit. I saw it over Christmas. I'm still amazed at how huge his prints are.

Also, there is a photo exhibit there by the head of the art department at Mercer University in Macon. I was not impressed at all. Most of the photos on this site, IMHO, are much better. Saying something for this site.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Saw an article in the past year talking about those monster images, even showed the darkroom and Clyde and his assistant processing those huge prints..would love to see one in person, they look great. Did see one of AA's Moonrise at Andrew Smith in SF that was huge..don't know how those guys do it. Working with 16x20 is a pain for me.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Saw Clyde Butcher's exhibit while it was at his Big Cypress Gallery - very impressive, with fairly good detail despite size of prints. Does help when you start with large negatives.
    If you want to see his darkroom operations, he does have frequent open house showings as well as some workshops at his Big Cypress & Venice, FL galleries. Check out his site for more info http://www.clydebutcher.com/
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Does anyone know why most if not all of Mr. Butcher's pictures, at least the one on his site, has this disturbing darkness on all four corners of the image? Is this intentional on his part to either use lenses that do not properly cover the negative or does he burn the corners for this strange effect? I find his photos so dark somehow because of this - "black" even.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not having seen an actual print, other then reproductions, I don't know why his corners are darkened. I guess that it could be for either of the reasons that you mention. I do believe that Clyde does have the ability to enlarge up to 12X20 negatives now. That would require some serious coverage from a lens.

A number of years ago, Paula and I saw an exhibition of Butcher's photographs. Large enlargements. Without a doubt, they were the least satisfactory prints we had ever seen, with blown out highlights everywhere, and blocked up shadows most everywhere else. here's hoping his printing has improved--sounds like it from the postings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hard to say Michael, it's not on Azo so it has it's limits. I'm going to see it sunday, I'll let you know how it compares.
    Gary Beasley

Oh I don't expect his prints to be like Azo prints, just not "soot and chalk" prints.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What springs the trap door for me with this guy is the tunnel vision. No end to clutter in the corners and edges. No understanding of space. Just snapshots of cool places in Florida with a big camera. Or, as Saint Ansel put it: "The complete engulfing of photography as you and I and N see it and feel it into a vast picture archive of subjects." Butcher's work is a vast archive of vast illustrations of the subject of Florida. Art? It is to laugh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin