Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,725   Online: 902

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Slow read indeed! I cannot get past the first few chapters without falling asleep. I have tried to reread it again and again over the years but I find myself getting upset with the fact that he left his family to pursue quite selfish goals. I guess I am old fashioned but I must respect the man to respect his work (beautiful as some of them are, the ends do not justify the means).
    Francesco

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "Do any of you have a copy and if so what did you think of it?"

I bought both copies of the Daybooks back in the 80's when I bought my first view camera. I've read both volume 3 times since them and am currently rereading them again.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "I guess I am old fashioned but I must respect the man to respect his work "

Francesco,

You say that like you think it may be a bad thing Old fashioned can be, and often is, good. I'm old fashioned in many ways. But, I disagree with having to respect the man to repect the work. I think Edward Weston's work is fastastic. I think he was a great photographer and as I stated in another post, I have read the Daybooks 3 times and am currently reading them a 4th time. I would have enjoyed meeting Edward Weston and discussing photography with him. However, I don't think I would have necessarily liked him as a person. 20 minutes in a room with him and I would probably have decided that this was not someone I wanted to include in my circle of friends. Then again, maybe I would have. You can't make that kind of decision until you actually talk to someone.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think Weston would have been a fun guy to be around, just make sure you keep him away from your lady!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    LOL!
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had the Daybooks for 25 years and have never tried to read them from cover to cover. I just keep dipping to short periods of his life. They have been a great inspiration to me, so much so that I was inspired to start writing my own daily journal. You should try it for you really do begin to discover a lot about yourself which eventually begins to influence your photography. Eric, if you cannot get them from the library you're just going to hop on to the plane to visit Northumberland and I'll let you have them for your bedtime reading. The temperatures are not as low as Calgary but I do understand that we have blizzards in Northumberland at present, I'm currently working in London so I have to rely on reports from home to keep me in touch with the weather.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think Weston would have been a fun guy to be around, just make sure you keep him away from your lady!
    Well, if you read the books and believe they are factual, Weston never had to "go after" any of his women- they seem to find him. But at least he was enough of a gentleman that most got reduced to initals in the published books.

BTW Les- do you get up as early as Weston did to do your journal?
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Miss ya Les.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Weston's Daybooks are a must read. That and Cartier-Bresson's "Introduction to the Decisive Moment" are the two essentials.

There is a great myth about Weston's womanizing. When, in the early 1950s he was asked how many women he had been with, he thought about it a while, counted carefully and answered "8". When someone answered that there must be more than that, he thought and answered "12." Now being with 12 woman in a life is not many, certainly not by contemporary standards. And yes, they all did seek him out. He did not pursue them. Even Charis relates that she had to seduce him and make the first moves. She was 19, he was 48. And, if you read carefully, he was with almost all of these women when he was single. After he married Charis, he did not get involved with anyone else.

It seemed everyone loved Edward--woman, men, everyone. I regret that, being too young, I did not have the opportunity to ever know him. I've come close though; I knew Brett (who said he never read the Daybooks), and I know Charis, who is alive and well, but is losing her sight, and Dody Weston Thompson (Edward's last assistant, Brett's wife for a time), who is writing a long essay about Edward for our forthcoming book on him.

Images
    Michael, I haven't heard of Cartier-Bresson's book, and can only find a reference to it on Amazon. Is it long out of print?
    hi!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin