Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,983   Posts: 1,632,964   Online: 956

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Michael,

I did a search on Barnes & Noble and found 3 used copies of Cartier-Bresson's The Decisive Moment. The prices of the 3 used copies were $450, $529 and $1588.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Strange that Brett would have never read the Day Books.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    mwtroxell,

Too rich for my blood!
    hi!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    "Too rich for my blood"

Me too. I'd love to buy a used copy and read it but do you know how much film or paper that would buy?

Images
    haha! Maybe Michael could just tell us about the best parts of the book
    hi!

The book by Cartier-Bresson is "The Decisive Moment." It is long out of print (well over 40 years) and at $450 is a steal. However, you do not need tp get the book to read the essay, "Introduction to the Decisive Moment." It has been reprinted a nuimber of times.

I recommend you look for the book, "Photographers on Photography" edited by Nathan Lyons. The "Introduction" is there as well as many other important writings by Weston, Minor White, Stieglitz, Strand and others. It was published in the 1960s. There are two versions of this book. I am back in Europe now finishing the printing of our forthcoming books so don't have access to the books and the ISBN numbers, but the two versions are this: The hardbound version has a section of reproductions by each of the photographers. It tends to be expensive on the used market. The other, the softbound version, has no reproductions and should be quite reasonable. If you can find it, grab it.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just have the softbound book with both books in one book.(the Weston Daybooks) It can be a slow read but it is fascinating if you hang in there.

lee\c

Images
    For anyone who has a hole burning in their pocket... Cartier-Bresson is "The Decisive Moment."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29284
    hi!

A 1999 book, "The Mind's Eye: Writings on Photography and Photographers", Henri Cartier-Bresson, Michael L. Sand is in print. ($19.95) It contains "The Decisive Moment" as well as other essays published in various journals.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Last night, I became involved in discussion of Edward Weston's work, over coffee and my copy of "Forms of Passion".

Weston, in 1927, prodcued a series of photographs, some of which are reproduced in the book: "Nude(s) 1927 -28"; pages 143, 144, and 145 - and "Dancer", 1927, page 146; "Dancing Nude", 1927; and "Nude", 1928, page 148.

The question arose to the lighting / darkroom work that produced the "outlining - shadow" effect in these images. My first impression was that of something like a "semi-solarization", where there is not quite enough solarization exposure to produce the full localized image area reversal ... but ??

I know that Weston favored natural light - I don't know if he did any work involving solarization - I have not seen any, if he did ... but that means very little.

I was asked if I could duplicate the lighting. darkroom manipulation or whatever, to recreate the effect. My answer: "I wouldn't have a remote clue of how it was done. I'd have to work at it."

Is anyone here familiar with the photographs" -- And an anyone shed some light on the method/s involved in their production?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin