Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,605   Online: 1312

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Do any of you have a copy and if so what did you think of it? Of the non-living photographers he has been the most influencial in my development - photographically.

I was thinking of picking up a copy, but given the expense, I thought it was prudent to seek your reviews first.

Thanks,

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are two volumes. Yes, they are worth it. For many years the whole of meaningful photographic literature was Ansel Adams Basic Photography series for the technical and the Daybooks for what it is like to be a photographic artist. It is original and authentic.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Images
    I found them a slow read, but nice to have as poart of the collection. You can order a used copy on Amazon for pretty cheap. Mine was special ordered through B&N and was about $20 new, and had both books in one.
    hi!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    He was a horny little satyr and liked to eat his models-- oh, and yes they are well worth the money for the history alone
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Gim

I purchased the two volumes reprinted as one volume from Amazon.com about a month ago. $29.95 minus 30% discount. A great deal for 500 + pages of a classic.

I have mixed feeling about Mr. Weston after reading the daybooks....but what the heck, he is an artist. Drags out but a good read.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are truly interested in phtography I think learning about indivdual photographers is important. Weston in many ways transcends photography and is recognized not only as maybe the greatest American photographer but as one of the more important artists of the 20th century.

The daybooks go along way to understanding Weston's passion and dedication to photography.

jbj

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you are worried about the expense, then why not check out your local public library or university library. Not only are they likely to have this series of books but many others on all facets of photography, sensitometry, darkroom etc. Borrow them first, if you feel like you can't live without owning them, then purchase them used later.

just a suggestion.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Good idea JBJ. Hadn't thought of that one. It's been years since I ventured into a library. But considering it's currently -47C with windchill I think it will have to wait a few days!!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    Good idea JBJ. Hadn't thought of that one. It's been years since I ventured into a library. But considering it's currently -47C with windchill I think it will have to wait a few days!!
    Too late Eric, I've already checked out the one available copy. The other is being rebound...sorry 'bout that buddy!

BTW folks, he's not exagerating about the temperature. It's absolutely brutal here right now....
    Cheers!

-klm.

Images
    After posting about the daybooks yesterday, I decided to take them off the shelf and give them a seond look through. I still think they are a very slow read, but the second one (California) is much better in my opinion. Some of it hits too close to home for me though. Reading the pages about him wanting to print his pepper shots, but being stuck doing portraits really got me thinking... hehe

-45c is pretty brutal don't stick your tongue to your ground glass!
    hi!

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin