Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,172   Online: 732

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 812131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    GEORGE TICE fans: speak up! Why is this man so underrated and rarely discussed? Just going through some of his books and his work is an absolute delight.

Images
    Definately a Tice fan here.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another G. Tice fan here. I've always used one of his quotes on my Flickr site: "It takes the passage of time before an image of a commonplace subject can be assessed. The great difficulty of what I attempt is seeing beyond the moment; the everydayness of life gets in the way of the eternal." - George Tice

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    GEORGE TICE fans: speak up!
    Another fan here... It is easy to focus on his urban landscapes, but he has a lot of other work to draw from.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also like Tice. I disagree that he is not discussed. I have seen articles about him in various publications and web sites. His books Ticetown and Paterson have been critically acclaimed. Google search him and you will find a few articles, essays and interivews.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm

Jane Bown

I have recently been looking at the work of Jane Bown the long serving Observer Photographer in her latest book Exposures.
    An outstanding collection of portraits from the mid fifties right up to the present. All B+W using either a Rolleiflex or an OM1.
    Regards

Harry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thought I'd drag up this thread again. Always nice to see what others are looking at.

Anyhow, I got a whole stack of "You And Your Camera" magazines from the early 80's and in one I read an interesting article about Terrence Donovan. This was a bit of a catalyst to look through some of his stuff. I think he must have been a bit of a ground breaker when he first started out back in the 60's. Very interesting work.

Images
    On George Tice; "Why is this man so underrated and rarely discussed?"

I don't know about the rarely discussed issue, but the prices on his prints make me think he's not at all underrated. Wow.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    It can serve two purposes. If the work is much better than yours, you can use it for inspiration and guidance to try to improve. If the other work is much worse than yours, it can give you confidence and give you the drive to keep going.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Andreas Laszlo Konrath -
    http://www.andreaslaszlokonrath.com

Graeme Mitchell (an APUG member) -
    http://www.graememitchell.com

Other notables: Michael Kenna, Gina Sprio, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin