Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,806   Posts: 1,581,408   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    William Eggleston: Coming up on almost ten years now since I first heard of or saw Eggleston's work, and for nearly all that time, I could not, for the life of me, figure out what was so interesting about it. I've been looking at his work almost exclusively for the past three months now, and now can't figure out why it took me so long to love it.

Still looking at Sally Mann, Abelardo Morell, Keith Carter, Sam Abell, and Joel Meyerowitz.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love these threads.

I am using a 28mm lens a lot lately with my 35mm camera. So I have been drawing inspiration and education from the books of Sam Abell and the blog of an English wedding photographer named Jeff Ascough. They are different, but both have a way of layering with a wide lens that resonates.

-Laura

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't looked at a lot of photographs lately, but some of the last were at a small show by local APUG members Colin Corneau, timbo10ca (Tim Bowles), and thebanana (John Scott).

Very inspiring - Colin's work with 35mm panoramic format (particularly of China), Tim's work in 4x5 and 5x7 (the first time I've seen a 5x7 slide up close), and John's interesting multiple exposure and/or multiple slide combination techniques were particularly interesting to me.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite photos are published in newspapers and news magazines, where the name of the photographer doesn't really matter so much. There are so many of them. I can't think of the name of a single currently working fine art photographer whose stuff I have seen.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like 'old school' - Salgado, Bresson, Koudelka, Eugene Smith.
    I often go on http://www.masters-of-photography.com ,but I like Bresson, Salgado, E. Smith and Koudelka that much that I both couple of books of them

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    William Eggleston: Coming up on almost ten years now since I first heard of or saw Eggleston's work, and for nearly all that time, I could not, for the life of me, figure out what was so interesting about it. I've been looking at his work almost exclusively for the past three months now, and now can't figure out why it took me so long to love it.
    I love art that you learn to love in spite of yourself.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Avedon exhibit at SFMOMA next month.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul Strand, Shorpy History, Merg Ross, Weston Photography, a folder called Gallery sites which has dozens of photographers, Francis Frith, Charles Sheeler and dozens of books stacked up around the house.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Today I spent some time looking at Michael Kenna's work on line. I have always been a huge fan and find his work incredibly beautiful.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just added two Horst Hamann books to my collection, a total of 3 now. He is best know for his black and white, vertical panos in NY and Paris.

http://www.horsthamann.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lately, I've been perusing my library, rediscovering the works of Evelyn Hofer, Inge Morath, Josef Sudek, Bill Brandt, Robert Adams (photography and writing), Thomas Struth, Curt Richter, among others. Recently attended the Richard Avedon exhibition at ICP, and am awaiting the arrival of the Robert Frank (The Americans) show at the Met later in the Fall.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin