Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,488   Online: 923

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This is "photography", pure and simple.

The static discharge emits light just like lightning and just like lightning it can be imaged on film. Nothing magic.

PE
    I beg to differ PE!

IMHO, ALL photography is at least a little bit magic
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I'm loosing something big here. What is a dry lab?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aca91 View Post
    I think I'm loosing something big here. What is a dry lab?
    One that uses inkjet printers only.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    All emulsions are sensitive to the radiation emitted by lightning discharges such as static electricity. The density of the image formed is proportional to the speed of the emulsion.

All you need is a dry lab and you begin to get such discharges. You can even generate them with scotch tape. Put some tape onto a piece of plastic, sit in the dark to adapt your eyes and then peel the tape off of the plastic. You will see bright flashes.

PE
    I actually hate when this happens when I double load 120 film, which I have to remove atleast one piece of tape to adhere to next roll to fit on one spool. If I see sparks I go super slow and usually breathe a bit of moist air onto the area.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, yes, that's a common phenomenon, with cameras with manual rewind knob it is advised to rewind the film slowly to avoid static electricity discharges, which will be visible in the images. Nihil novi sub sole.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    MattKing, your answer is incredibly stupid. Are you aware of the fact that there are many international memebers on APUG, like me, who are not english native speakers? That complicates the things a little bit, maybe you would know if you spoke more languages. Anyhow, if drylab (which, by the way, is not even a word that one could look up in the dictonary) is the dry part of a darkroom, the linguistic variation is not so obvious, I mean, after all it could mean something else besides an inkjet printer. I hope your snobism has given you a nice life, and will improve it with time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    I'm trying to work out what's more impressive, the beautiful images or the scientific explanations... Ohhh, photography.
    Both are equally beautiful.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Actually over here in Canada , if one says they use a dry lab it does mean inkjet prints.
    Also others use the room light room to signify they are using a computer to image.

MattKing, your answer is incredibly stupid. Are you aware of the fact that there are many international memebers on APUG, like me, who are not english native speakers? That complicates the things a little bit, maybe you would know if you spoke more languages. Anyhow, if drylab (which, by the way, is not even a word that one could look up in the dictonary) is the dry part of a darkroom, the linguistic variation is not so obvious, I mean, after all it could mean something else besides an inkjet printer. I hope your snobism has given you a nice life, and will improve it with time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow. I think you ought to switch to decaffeinated coffee.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At Kodak, we had a "dry side" and a "wet side" denoting the separation of photosensitive materials and processing chemicals respectively. This was rigidly enforced. There was no dry lab, but there were wet labs outside of the darkroom. The term dry lab is recent. Since I sometimes do mixed analog negative to digital printing, you might say I am in my dry lab right now!

Sometimes, the term "dry lab" is often used by EEs and MEs as well as Physicists when they refer to their lab. They have totally dry labs, whereas chemists always have wet labs.

PE
    Last edited by Photo Engineer; 07-27-2012 at 01:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling as usual!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin