Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,525   Online: 1024

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aca91 View Post
    MattKing, your answer is incredibly stupid. Are you aware of the fact that there are many international memebers on APUG, like me, who are not english native speakers? That complicates the things a little bit, maybe you would know if you spoke more languages. Anyhow, if drylab (which, by the way, is not even a word that one could look up in the dictonary) is the dry part of a darkroom, the linguistic variation is not so obvious, I mean, after all it could mean something else besides an inkjet printer. I hope your snobism has given you a nice life, and will improve it with time.
    Sorry that my gentle joke wasn't understood to be an attempt to be funny - I guess I missed the chance to include the "wink" emoticon .

In the 7+ years (and 8,000+ posts) I've been here I've enjoyed the fact that APUG members are very international - I've been enriched by the contributions of many non-English speaking people here and I've never been reluctant to say so.

And if there is some other term in a post that you don't understand don't hesitate to ask again - if I can give an answer that I think will be helpful, I will be glad to do so.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    All emulsions are sensitive to the radiation emitted by lightning discharges such as static electricity. The density of the image formed is proportional to the speed of the emulsion.

All you need is a dry lab and you begin to get such discharges. You can even generate them with scotch tape. Put some tape onto a piece of plastic, sit in the dark to adapt your eyes and then peel the tape off of the plastic. You will see bright flashes.

PE
    I also used to think this was static electricity, but it is called triboluminescence ! (Ralph calls it tension luminescence here http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6....html#poststop)

As if that isnt novel enough, the phenomenon also gives off x-rays !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Triboluminescence is caused when you pull the tape at the end of a film roll away from the film. The energy releases what appear to be small lightning bolts. Film is sensitive to this.

HOWEVER, true static electricity takes place in a dry lab when you unroll the film itself and discharge a built up static charge between your body or a reel and the film. Film is much more sensitive to this. In fact, this is why film is coated with an antistatic material incorporated int it.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Triboluminescence is caused when you pull the tape at the end of a film roll away from the film. The energy releases what appear to be small lightning bolts. Film is sensitive to this.

HOWEVER, true static electricity takes place in a dry lab when you unroll the film itself and discharge a built up static charge between your body or a reel and the film. Film is much more sensitive to this. In fact, this is why film is coated with an antistatic material incorporated int it.

PE
    Thanks PE, I was referring to the fact you said the scotch tape light flashes were due to static electricity. As you wrote above and the links I gave suggest they are due to triboluminescence.
    Also, you correctly pointed out that static discharge can be caused by the film unrolling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I admit that it can be either depending on the humidity. You are right though.

Thanks.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    By the way, ask a digital photographer if he can do that with his camera!
    I like it pmsl I wonder how many might try this after going to these sites without thinking lol
    Alan

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin