Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,289   Posts: 1,535,369   Online: 803

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: W. Eugene Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

W. Eugene Smith

In Sept. of 2002 while I was a student at the University of Arizona, I saw W. Eugene Smith's "Dream Street" gallery at the Center for Creative Photography. Those images have haunted me since and out of curiosity I'd like to know what film he used. Anyone know?

The prints were so dark, so haunting, so brilliant, so meticulous and immaculately done. They were also huge. If he did this on 35mm...I'm terribly impressed.

By far the most amazing and one of the most touching exhibitions I have ever seen. Books and digital reproductions (same thing, really) do no justice to seeing the real print up close (and far away!) in person.

Anyone else seen his exhibitions in person?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He was a master photographer and an amazing printer of his own work. I don't know if the prints you viewed were vintage or not, he didn't generally print "huge", but they could well have been. He shot 35mm primarily, but other formats as well. He helped push 35mm into the mainstream of press photography. Film? IDK, probably all sorts. His printing style employed the use of a reducing bleach to create the local contrast he was after. He was kind of a nut, but a great great photographer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moouers View Post
    In Sept. of 2002 while I was a student at the University of Arizona, I saw W. Eugene Smith's "Dream Street" gallery at the Center for Creative Photography. Those images have haunted me since and out of curiosity I'd like to know what film he used. Anyone know?

The prints were so dark, so haunting, so brilliant, so meticulous and immaculately done. They were also huge. If he did this on 35mm...I'm terribly impressed.

By far the most amazing and one of the most touching exhibitions I have ever seen. Books and digital reproductions (same thing, really) do no justice to seeing the real print up close (and far away!) in person.

Anyone else seen his exhibitions in person?
    He shot Tri-x after it came out; souped (mostly in D76), 2:1 (not a misprint) with water, and a little of the old developor to "take the edge off the grain" He printed dark, and brought low tones up with ferricyanide bleach. t
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He was a tormented angel stuck in this existence as a photographer,
    and made his soul speak though silver shadows. Be inspired,
    and stock your darkroom with music.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

New show of Eugene Smith photographs. The Jazz Loft Project.

A very interesting project from Gene Smith's time in New York City. from the linked website, "From 1957 to 1965 legendary photographer W. Eugene Smith made approximately 4,000 hours of recordings on 1,741 reel-to-reel tapes and nearly 40,000 photographs in a loft building in Manhattan's wholesale flower district where major jazz musicians of the day gathered and played their music. Smith's work has remained in archives until now. The Jazz Loft Project is dedicated to uncovering the stories behind this legendary moment in American cultural history."

Plus photographs of the jazz musicians and photographs from his window of NYC streets.

http://www.jazzloftproject.org/
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moouers View Post
    I think you may find a few answers in this nice BBC documentary about Eugene Smith's 1950 UK trip and shots from South Wales. In parts 2 and 3 are clear shots of some of his contact sheets from that trip, showing he was not only using 35mm...

Parts 1-4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LjsYYKZdCo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otVPk5Fp8Zo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ifXDEysLJ8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ytXxo0b7U

Unfortunately embedding disabled, so can not be included in the APUG video section. Still worth the watch on YouTube.

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the information and comments, everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you. Not only is it historically interesting, but also in the 1980's I traveled through this area.

It is also a different type of street photography than get discussed here.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Jazz Loft Show

Jazz Loft Photo show....NY public library for the performing arts at Lincoln Center.....40 lincoln center plaza...Feb 17-May 27...Go see it!!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I saw the Dream Street exhibit at Duke. I agree -- it was really something and I can remember right now standing there and studying the grain. His blacks were like textured charcoal on paper, almost three dimensional.

I wouldn't call the prints huge, though. I seem to recall few being longer than, say, 24-30 inches in the longest dimension. But my memory could be failing me. I do remember meeting Smith's son, who was a very nice man who works in public television.

I think the Dream Street book turned out quite well, and give it as a gift fairly often. But you are right, some things you have to see in person. I went up to NYC once to see some huge, non-vintage prints of Bill Brandt's beach stuff. The grain was amazing. But by using scanned negs, it was something of a reinterpretation. Also at Duke, some years back, I saw huge prints done from scans of Walker Evans negs with tons more shadow detail.

Whether it's right or wrong, I don't know. But these experiments are interesting to see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin