Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,699   Online: 1176

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick Brandt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like Brandt's work, well, at least his work before this latest book, which I haven't seen yet.

but I beg to ask the question: "Would you think any different of him, or his images, if he told you he printed them in the darkroom, with an enlarger that allowed him to have movements, like some of the DeVere/Durst models did, so you could throw things out of focus/shallow D.O.F."?

but being that he is expressing what he wants to through his photographs, we can lambaste him all we want to, just because he isn't a 100% analog workflow? No, well at least I can't. He has a certain style that others have tried to copy(from what I've read and heard), but to no luck.

what if the tables were turned, and he was to not like YOUR work, because you spend many hours in the darkroom, with an aching lower back, and using more paper and water than you should, in the name of YOUR art? I'll bet you wouldn't like that all that much. But I don't see him here, spouting out about how 'untrue' YOUR photographs are. so.....

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: "We can make fun of his work, like it, dislike it, love it, want to tear it up; but in the end, he's doing what he likes to do, and the way he wants to do it. We shouldn't think any less of him as an artist, just because he has a different method of bringing his work to print. Prints that sell for much more than most of us sell ours for, well, at least me!

so, let him who has no faults cast the first stone....

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    besides, I'd imagine he's using a good bit of TMAX 100(if that's the film he does use?), so he's helping to keep that alive by purchasing it for his workflow.

-Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    He has some of his work in the December edition of Black and White Photography magazine http://www.nickbrandt.com/Text_page.cfm?pID=2705

Roger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    I like Brandt's work, well, at least his work before this latest book, which I haven't seen yet.

but I beg to ask the question: "Would you think any different of him, or his images, if he told you he printed them in the darkroom, with an enlarger that allowed him to have movements, like some of the DeVere/Durst models did, so you could throw things out of focus/shallow D.O.F."?

but being that he is expressing what he wants to through his photographs, we can lambaste him all we want to, just because he isn't a 100% analog workflow? No, well at least I can't. He has a certain style that others have tried to copy(from what I've read and heard), but to no luck.

what if the tables were turned, and he was to not like YOUR work, because you spend many hours in the darkroom, with an aching lower back, and using more paper and water than you should, in the name of YOUR art? I'll bet you wouldn't like that all that much. But I don't see him here, spouting out about how 'untrue' YOUR photographs are. so.....

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: "We can make fun of his work, like it, dislike it, love it, want to tear it up; but in the end, he's doing what he likes to do, and the way he wants to do it. We shouldn't think any less of him as an artist, just because he has a different method of bringing his work to print. Prints that sell for much more than most of us sell ours for, well, at least me!

so, let him who has no faults cast the first stone....

-Dan
    Daniel: when I started this thread, I tried to write so as not to be negative toward the photographs in any way. I hope that my words have not been taken that way. I will say again that I love these photographs. But I also have to admit that I was a little disappointed when I began to understand how digitally manipulated they seem to be. To answer your question, yes, I would think differently of the photographs if I knew they had been produced 100% in the darkroom with traditional methods. I simply appreciate the traditional method more than the digital method. That said, I do not think his photographs are any less "true" than mine, yours, or anyone else's. As you say, he is achieving his vision using his method, and that is alright with me.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too do not fault anyone for their methods.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    A couple of issues with some prior posts:
    1) Its not whether the prints and/or book are printed digitally, its whether digital manipulation was done that refutes the very purpose of Brandt's series. If Brandt is trying to show the dwindling numbers of wild animals, then adding some elephants to a herd undermines his thesis. He could start with same picture in 1st or 2nd book with added elephants, then remove the additions for the 3rd. But this is cheating and deceitful if his intent is other than creating artistic work.
    2) These are wild animals and Brandt has captured a second in their lives. Was that second an anthropomorphic moment that is an illusion; or, as Jane Goodall states in intro to 1st book, a recognition of a spirit among all animals? I'd like to think the latter.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think on this forum it does make it a difference, it started as a digital print, not a photograph.

Mike

Shooter
    Pinhole
    It seems to me that digital images which try to mimic analog photographs are undermining both mediums at the same time. There is a distinct difference between the two, and each should be used for their pros and cons, but not to mimic another (unless a political statement is clearly the objective).

They are beautiful, striking images, but they don't evoke the same set of emotions in me which an analog photograph does (which I'm not sure if that's what brandt is going for anyway). Digital imaging is working with a different artist's pallet of understandings and emotions. Brandt is a digital artist more than a photographer to me. Not bad in any way, but a distinction worth making.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I too do not fault anyone for their methods.
    I think the fault people are voicing is not with his methods, but how disingenuous Brandt may or may not be about his process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    As you say, he is achieving his vision using his method, and that is alright with me.
    Dan
    Hey Dan,

no worries, it just seemed like some people were drawing their knives in anticipation of a fight :o.

no worries, I wasn't pointing anything at you or anyone else, just stating what I personally observed.

-Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin