Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,203   Online: 941

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nick Brandt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure glad I brought my model 39 then

mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've flipped through his latest book a couple of times (in fact, even tonight ), and I think the work and his skill is excellent. But, it's just not the kind of imagery I'm gung-ho about seeing all of the time -- and that has nothing to do with the infamous "digital vs. hybrid vs. analogue" debate or anything. He can shoot and process however he wants for all I care. As an artist he should conform to his own standards, not anyone else's.
    Last edited by Brandon D.; 12-27-2009 at 09:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been a long time admirer or Brandt's work and find much of his quite compelling. I've read many interviews with Brandt and do not ever recall him stating that his digital work is outright manipulation in the sense of adding animals or other objects in the photos that weren't already there. As to the stitching of multiple shots into a wide panoramic shots, perhaps that is stretching credibility in terms of trying to overcome the limits of our craft, but he is at least up front about it.

While I am not a fan of all of Brandt's photoshopped burning and dodging, I find it curious that people could decry digital dodging and burning yet think it is perectly fine in the darkroom. There are many, many reasons for so called analog purists to dislike digital manipulation of images. Heavily expressive dodging and burning should not be one of them.
    Last edited by Shawn Rahman; 12-27-2009 at 07:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nick Brandt here. I just discovered this thread and felt compelled to enter the fray and clarify some points and misinformation.

I shoot with a Pentax 67II and scan my negs. Photoshop is a fantastic darkroom for getting the details out of the shadows and highlights with a level of detail that I never could obtain in the darkroom. However, the integrity of the scene I am photographing is always unequivocally maintained in the final photograph. Animals and trees are not cloned or added. The sky is the sky that was there.
    In panoramic photos, I take two consecutive frames and stitch them together. They are taken consecutively, and as quickly as possible. In the past, I tried working with a Fuji 6x17 rangefinder camera, and if you know the camera, you'll understand how impractical that is with animals on the move.
    I have no interest or desire in cloning or adding animals. It would indeed defeat the purpose. Anyone is welcome to trek up my to my house and look at my contact sheets to see that the final photos are what I am shooting.
    Some people think that what some of what I shoot could not possibly be real. If you wait long enough, and are lucky enough (and don't use a telephoto lens and therefore look at the literally bigger picture) you'll also see scenes just like in those photos. (Many times, those scenes were taken with many other vehicles there). However, hurry, because with every passing year, those sights are disappearing.

However, I do agree with the criticisms of those borders on the early photos, damn it. There is a good reason I originally used them - to try and further convey that these animals were from another bygone era, but I now regard that particular effect as overly cheap, tricksy and ubiquitous, and now print those images without the borders. Live and learn.

I also agree with some criticism of overly zealous dodging and burning, but only in early prints. These were the work of a new photographer getting over-excited with the tools of the trade. However, a lot of what you see is due to use of the heaviest ND Grads and red filters. If you think there's too much dodging and burning in later work, fine, we'll agree to disagree. (Until maybe I agree with you in another few years....)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Since there is a new thread on this Nick Brandt, I think it makes sense to close this one and pick it up at--

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum54/7...e-animals.html
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin