Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,636   Online: 874

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbran View Post
    cdowell - you must have ordered On This Earth. See above comments for pre-emptive excuses!
    Correct. Amazon was showing the new one as unavailable at the moment and I thought I'd go old school...

Glad I did now -- the amazon note made it sound like the new book would ship in 11-13 days, not three months.

No excuses needed. What could be more right than an artist growing and refining his vision on a daily basis? But I do want to see the new one now that I know how happy you are with the printing.
    "To a photographer the world consists of an infinite number of vantage points -- places to stand -- of which very few are altogether satisfactory." (John Szarkowski, Atget)

My flickr

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nick, Amazon US shows 6 copies left; and delivery by Jan 29th. Hopefully, they are not in error. As far as Exhibitions, keep us in mind if any future openings.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nick,

I enjoy your work very much and have a greater appreciation of it as a result of this conversation. Thank you for your comments especially how digital fits into your workflow.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Nick, Amazon US shows 6 copies left; and delivery by Jan 29th. Hopefully, they are not in error.
    Danger, danger, Will Robinson. Those six books are secondary market books, selling for a whopping $80-$120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cdowell View Post
    But I do want to see the new one now that I know how happy you are with the printing.
    Well, happy with MY printing in A Shadow Falls. Not so happy with the book printing - too sepia, especially in shadows, some images washed out, very inconsistent. Not matching the dusty velvety rich tonality of my printing.

Hopefully, the second printing of the book will be better, but for those who know book printing, the reason that the 1st printing was so wayward- and god forbid any of you should go through this - but the factory (in Hong Kong) did not use color strips and a densitometer for the first printing. Their voices dripping with mocking ridicule, they arrogantly told me, "we don't use machines, we use our eyes". The erratic inconsistent printing was the inevitable result. I've now kicked and screamed for the normal logical workflow used the world over - color strips and densitometer. So if they use them right, the second printing should be much better.
    Last edited by nickbran; 01-11-2010 at 12:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick, I have both your books and have seen some of your prints at the Photo-Eye Gallery in Santa Fe. Awe, lust and envy come to mind. I have been to Africa 6 times and I know what must have been involved in getting some of those shots. To get so many of them is just short of amazing. When is the next book due out?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll chime in here, and congratulate Nick for being one of the braver souls on the internet for jumping right into this discussion, for being straightforward and helpful, slow to take offense, and in general, behaving like a real human being who is in the same room with the people with whom he is communicating. Welcome to APUG, one of the more interesting places in the photowebiverse. Keep posting!
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nick, in light of this discussion I have a couple questions. Would you sign a book that has, in your opinion, inferior printing? Do you sell any books or collections that have your seal of approval, so to speak? And to what extent are you really at the mercy of the printer, don't they give you some sort of back-out clause if a proof print isn't what you wish?

Not wishing to imply anything as I haven't seen any of your books in person, I am just curious how a professional handles these issues in the modern context of, well, iffy printing.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Next round :

Outwest : Thank you for your "awe, lust and envy". In terms of when the next book comes out, well, sigh, if my current track record is anything to go by, which is an average of about 12-15 photos a year, Fall 2013 at best, Fall 2014 more realistically. I actually start shooting in Africa next weekend. It's getting harder and harder to see anything extraordinary as all the animals disappear (cue the adding and cloning....joke). And for the final part of my trilogy I'm going darker. On This Earth was a vision of Paradise, A Shadow Falls as the title describes, a darkness falling over the land, and the final book, more starkness and reality. The final part of the trilogy will complete the sentence : On This Earth, A Shadow Falls.....(and final title, to be revealed with publication).

Clay : well, thank you. I am kinda slow, it's true...

Keith : You wrote : "Would you sign a book that has, in your opinion, inferior printing?" Good, very pertinent question. Initially, I struggled with this one, because as mentioned, the book was not printed to my satisfaction. In the end I did sign books, because every single book, with the inconsistency, was so maddeningly different to the next. One book might have four of the key photos ruined, in the next book they'd be fine. The proofs were very good, but were NOT made by the factory. They were done in pre-press by the separator. I signed off on those, only to see anarchy reign in the final factory results. Anyone buying the 2nd edition should get a more consistently printed, less brown, richer printing if the factory have now been taught Rule 1 of Book Printing : Use a Densitometer. But until I see the results, with an expectant pit in my stomach, I won't know. This is the trouble with publishers going to China these days to save money. You get what you pay for.
    Because my original prints are printed on matte paper but still have reasonably rich blacks, it is very hard to simulate that well in offset printing. Reproducing glossy prints is much easier as printing inks are naturally glossy. Add a matte varnish to match your original prints and you end up with mud. It's a trade-off. Also I think most printers these days are so used to printing color, they're just not experienced at printing tritone monochromatic images. At least, this is what I've discovered over the two books.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nick, let me echo what Clay said. I have your first book and love it. I've not had a chance to see your work in person, but hope to some day. It's certainly work that deserves to be BIG.

As someone who is contemplating publishing a book this year, I'm curious where you have your printing done. If you don't want to name names, I understand, but how about the general location - Asia? Italy? US?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin