Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,890   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Michael Kenna Style

Hello,

I am looking for photographers who photograph in the style of Michael Kenna. I know Rolfe Horne, but maybe other interesting photographers as well ?
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Michael Levin
    Dennis Olivier
    Josef Hoflehner
    Hakan Strand

The people above are quite similar in style; and some more so than others. There are plenty more, but I can't think at the moment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for usually square format, often low light, long exposure images with strong graphic elements and a minimum of "business". Kenna's photographs are lightly sepia toned, and often allow quite visible grain. They are also remarkable in being about 8 inches square in an era that welcomes much, much larger prints (Hoflehner makes prints up to 40" square I think...or somewhat near that size if I'm not totally accurate.). He also continues to photograph with film and use traditional analog processes for his prints.

Besides the photographers listed above, Adrian Davis, and David Fokos also work in a similar way (although with much larger, and often digital prints.) There are some folks here on APUG who also could loosely be identified as of that "school" if you will.

I love his work, and have studied "Retrospecitve Two" constantly for the half year I've owned the book. I've also seen his work in person at the AIPAD show. If you can get to a show like that, you'll likely get to see his work this year as well.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Interesting that there is visible grain in a 8 inch print from a 6x6 neg...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just one question:

why is it that some of these photographers have almost the EXACT type of work that Kenna produces? I like looking at other people's work, but when I see people who obviously, and blatantly emulate someone, it somewhat lessens the experience(for me) of looking at their work.

now, granted, they are extremely talented photographers/printers(those who print analog). I have never had a chance to see a Kenna in person, but I hope to sometime soon.

so: are these other guys just "fanboys" of Michael Kenna, "groupies" so to speak?

-Dan

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Well, Rolfe Horn was Kenna's assistant, so apparently it was a big influence on him.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Instead of asking who is copying whom among photographers, it may be more appropriate to look at the minimalist visual arts movement of the late 60s as also being influential among photographers. Much of Kenna, Fokos, etc. can be seen as a continuation of that movement.

As far as grain in Kenna's work, is he pushing his film?
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Just one question:

why is it that some of these photographers have almost the EXACT type of work that Kenna produces? I like looking at other people's work, but when I see people who obviously, and blatantly emulate someone, it somewhat lessens the experience(for me) of looking at their work.

now, granted, they are extremely talented photographers/printers(those who print analog). I have never had a chance to see a Kenna in person, but I hope to sometime soon.

so: are these other guys just "fanboys" of Michael Kenna, "groupies" so to speak?

-Dan
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    I think MK is trying to distanciate from the classic Ansel Adams landscape work by varying some of the parameters.
    This concept was well received and created some form of a school. In painting you would talk about impressonists, kubists, surrealists etc.
    It it just plain fun to watch the photographs.

Marc
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Although his style is different and it is with large format, look at the the work of Kenro Izu especially the platinum/palladium prints. I was fortunate enough to receive one as a gift and it is exquisite.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Having seen an exhibition of MK's work in his home town of Bangury, I think it was last year, I have to admit that I was not aware of seeing the "visible" grain that has been mentioned. I suppose grain may well have been there but not intrusive or to the detriment of the picture. What was more obvious was the great compositions and the stunning print quality.

I'd be more than happy to produce work like that, even if it menat having visible grain.

An exhibition that inspired me in my printing efforts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin