Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,866   Online: 1161

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did Brett do more than just landscape photography?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Underwater nudes, closeup studies of just about everything under the sun - cars, kelp, rust, paint, glass, plants, people to name a few. Portraits, wood sculptures... Check out:

www.brettwestonarchive.com for a small selection.

Thanks...were these images from the Lodima press editions Shawn? Very nice.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think far too many art critics, collectors, art historians, etc.... have discounted Brett as nothing more than EW's son. Photographically speaking, Brett and Edward were contemporaries and EW recognized Brett's influence on his own work many times. It was Brett who talked EW into abandoning platinum in favor of silver gelatin papers, Brett who "discovered" the rocks at Point Lobos, etc... I enjoy them both and believe their work should be considered in the historical context that it was made, but Brett was no mere imitator of his father's work. He had his own vision. This essay does a very fine job comparing these two.
    Last edited by skillian; 01-21-2010 at 05:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mahler, I'm not sure about the origins of the scans but the images displayed make up Brett's portfolios which are indeed being published by Lodima.

In my humble opinion much of Brett's best work (and he made a vast amount of it) was not included in his portfolios. Try a google search for images or go over to Corbis, I believe they have 1000 images of his there. All the best. Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 01-21-2010 at 03:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

I'd be very grateful if someone could PM me the article. Brett's work, particulalry the more abstract, amazes me. Thanks.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skillian View Post
    I think far too many art critics, collectors, art historians, etc.... have discounted Brett as nothing more than EW's son. Photographically speaking, Brett and Edward were contemporaries and EW recognized Brett's influence on his own work many times. It was Brett who talked EW into abandoning platinum in favor of silver gelatin papers, Brett who "discovered" the rocks at Point Lobos, etc... I enjoy them both and believe their work should be considered in the historical context that it was made. Brett was no mere imitator of his father's work. He had his own vision. This essay does a very fine job comparing these two.
    The truth of all you say notwithstanding, the very, very finest prints I've ever seen (and there have only been 3 of them) were Edward's. I've yet to see ones by Brett which compared, although reproductions I've seen in the Lodima Press series leads me to believe that there are some.
    Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That may be true, but Picture-making is light years more important to me than printmaking. The quality of Brett's prints varied wildly over his career - when he started using the smaller camera in the 60's, print quality naturally suffered, but his vision always evolved over the 50+ years he photographed. He was simply a visual tour deforce.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested in reading the article if anyone will forward it to me. Thanks, TW.
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasw_ View Post
    I'd be interested in reading the article if anyone will forward it to me. Thanks, TW.
    Make that another that would like the article as well...thanks in advance.

Andrew

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin