Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,909   Online: 926

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Photography from/about Africa

Hey All,

I'm looking for examples of photographic work from (or about) Africa as background to an essay I am writing. I am not really after the photo-journalistic style photography covering war, famine, conflict (e.g. Natchwey, Salgado and many others) nor landscape/nature photography (e.g. Nick Brandt). I am also aware of the commercial portrait style photography of Seydou Keita (?) and one or two others

What I am really interested in is work which falls outside the (very broad) categories I have mentioned above. In particular, photographers working in an urban context. I know about Guy Tillim and David Goldblatt. I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of other notable photographers I don't know about - I'm sure there are many .

Thanking you all in advance ....
    I have a photo blog ... and a Flickr ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might take a look at Gloria Baker Feinstein's work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Suzanne. Will do ...

Any other leads?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you know a bit of French, this might be of help:

http://www.fotoafrica.org/

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hughitb View Post
    Hey All,

I'm looking for examples of photographic work from (or about) Africa as background to an essay I am writing. I am not really after the photo-journalistic style photography covering war, famine, conflict (e.g. Natchwey, Salgado and many others) nor landscape/nature photography (e.g. Nick Brandt). I am also aware of the commercial portrait style photography of Seydou Keita (?) and one or two others

What I am really interested in is work which falls outside the (very broad) categories I have mentioned above. In particular, photographers working in an urban context. I know about Guy Tillim and David Goldblatt. I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of other notable photographers I don't know about - I'm sure there are many .

Thanking you all in advance ....
    The stedelijk museum had an exhibition on this subject. This might bring you more information. See e.g. http://www.absolutearts.com/artsnews.../30/35083.html

Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks all. Some superb links and things to follow up there. Exactly what I was looking for. Event better, my library has a copy of the book based on the Stedelijk Museum exhibition ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post

Great work in there... thanks for the link. Also, there's a South African photographer, Pieter Hugo who has done a series of portraits called the Hyena Men, which are really interesting.

http://www.pieterhugo.com/selected-w...her-men/2.jpg/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Great work in there... thanks for the link. Also, there's a South African photographer, Pieter Hugo who has done a series of portraits called the Hyena Men, which are really interesting.

http://www.pieterhugo.com/selected-w...her-men/2.jpg/
    Oh yes, thanks. They are fantastic .. was just thinking about them a few weeks ago but could not remember the name of the photographer ...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Malick Sidibe

Philip K. Apagya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin