Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,923   Posts: 1,556,657   Online: 1253

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Alexander McKay - Whiskey Bottle Telephoto Lenses!

Hi,

So I was reading the wikipedia page for 'telephoto lens' and came across mention of this man, Alexander McKay. Here is what it says....

"in New Zealand, Alexander McKay was taking photographs of exceptional quality using home-made telephoto lenses, ground from the bottoms of whisky bottles, probably as early as 1883 or 1884."

Now, if that doesn't peak the interest of an analog photographer, I don't know what will.

I've googled to no avail to find some examples of his photographs. All I can find is mention of his geology & passing commentary on his photography.

If anyone knows where to find any pictures taken with these lenses, please let me know. Or if you know of a good book (besides the ones reference in the wiki), I'd love to hear about it. It sounds pretty awesome IMO.

Thanks!

Holmburgers

mdm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hav'nt found any pictures but did come across this link.
    http://rsnz.natlib.govt.nz/volume/rs...00_005460.html

Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Hi,

So I was reading the wikipedia page for 'telephoto lens' and came across mention of this man, Alexander McKay. Here is what it says....

"in New Zealand, Alexander McKay was taking photographs of exceptional quality using home-made telephoto lenses, ground from the bottoms of whisky bottles, probably as early as 1883 or 1884."

Now, if that doesn't peak the interest of an analog photographer, I don't know what will.

I've googled to no avail to find some examples of his photographs. All I can find is mention of his geology & passing commentary on his photography.

If anyone knows where to find any pictures taken with these lenses, please let me know. Or if you know of a good book (besides the ones reference in the wiki), I'd love to hear about it. It sounds pretty awesome IMO.

Thanks!

Holmburgers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I came across that too. Interesting, but I really want to see some pictures.

Thanks though

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the look of these he probably used a conventional lens of the time. The available images are small, but it's the best I could do.

http://find.natlib.govt.nz/primo_lib...rch&mode=Basic

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In the late 1880s McKay took up a new enthusiasm - photography. He experimented with designs of cameras and telescopes and with telephotography and microphotography, even grinding his own lenses from bottle ends, and achieved good quality photo-micrographs of thin sections of rocks. He retired from the public service in 1904.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is a very Kiwi thing to do. New Zealanders take great pride in doing a lot with very little. "All you need is a bit of number 8 wire." is an expression you hear every day down there.

The movie "The World's Fastest Indian", starring Anthony Hopkins, captures this Kiwi spirit very well.
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    http://www.archive.org/stream/rockso...ge/30/mode/2up

No idea if his photography or not
    or if his homemade lenses or not

If you look at contents it seems he and others may have taken em
    or perhaps

Anyway
    im tired

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    find.natlib ones are clickable "GO"
    you have to scroll around the image in maximized form
    i think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin