Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,693   Online: 855

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I've had the privilege of extended close-up looks at many original Ansel Adams photographs from his Museum Series and I can confirm that several contain as much as 5% of the picture area as blank white paper-base. And the effect works superbly.
    Ooooo, now I am envious.... Seriously, this is what I was hoping for. An actual experience of seeing his work at first hand rather than a reproduction. Only this could confirm/deny whether the originals had paper white "details" or just specular highlights as paper white and any "details" as tones.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    The white areas are numerous, small, and disconnected. Typical forms are snow flecks on a hill-side or Dogwood blossoms above Tenaya Creek,
    This is the sort of paper white areas that area reproduced in the book - patches of snow on a hillside - I didn't think that they detracted from the image but was curious about them. There's more to this Adams character!

Thanks for the input on this.

Zathras - You are right, the only way I can sort this is to see his original work myself. This is on my "to do before I die" list and I very much look forward to seeing an original print.

In the meantime knowing any differences between the "real" print and the reproductions is helpful to me in learning from his work.

Thanks to all for the input.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Judgong prints from a book is almost as bad as doing it from web pics..EC

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had the chance to see an exhibition of AA prints and I was just amazed by the quality of the prints. In the exhibition hall, there was also a copy of the book containing the same prints. So, I could compared the original prints to the book prints and I must say that the book was only a pale copy of the original. One just need to see the original to understand what AA print quality is all about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin