Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,576   Online: 1071

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"Louis, the Light Painter" excellent documentary

I didn't find this mentioned before on APUG. I stumbled across this documentary film about fine art photographer Lou Swenson made by his son. Swenson is a photographer in the tradition of Group f/64 and this 6 part feature documents his philosophy and process, going both on location and into the darkroom with him. Very interesting. Be sure to watch all 6 parts. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59-qKtDLbHY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    also,

there's a follow-up series that his son did in 2009. just so you know. I found these last year, they're fun to watch. as he got older, he ditched the 6x9 view camera in favor of a Leica and hasselblad kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkhU5...eature=related

-Dan

Images
    Sooner and Daniel, I can't thank you enought for these links. I've watched all of both series and it was wonderful. His methods are so different than mine and his photos are so wonderful. I was surprised to see his use of the Jobo processor. From what I have learned about the effects of agitation on modern films I was a bit surprised at that. But there sure was no argument as to the quality of his work. Again thank you both for these links it was a wonderful learing experience for me. I don't see light the way he does but I'm sure happy to experience his work. I do so love to see how other phtotographers "see" light. Fred Picker used to say that all the time. "It's your picture you make it the way you want it to be". I love to be able to sit down with him and discuss the differences.
    JOHN

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin