Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,459   Online: 1043

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anton Corbijn

Shooter
    Medium Format

Anton Corbijn

Hey all.

I've read a lot of babble on Photo.net about Anton Corbijn's selection for color film, but I am more interested in what he is using for B/W and his process specifically. I just really love his high contract with a good deal of grain and would like to try to re-create it if at all possible.

Here is an example:

http://media.anti.com/tom_waits/orph..._corbijn_1.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's a lith print. He has a nice collection of them in his book 'Werk'. ISBN 3-88814-927-4.
    Search here on APUG for 'lith'. Good bunch of lith printers here. Or see Tim Rudman's book on the subject.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Typo: *contrast

Thanks David! Will definitely check out that book and search around for users and methods. Don't really have the room for my own darkroom at the moment, but will have one soon enough.

Out of all the great rock photogs I just find his work to be the most true to life. I know he uses a Blad for just about everything but cannot seem to find what film he prefers.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Star Trax

Should be pointed out that Mike Spry was and maybe still is Anton's printer, one of the greatist lith printer and traditional printer to ever enter a darkroom.
    If I ever get to London I would love to visit with him.
    Not enough credit given to Mr Spry IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Golden bit of info, Bob.

MiddleGray -- when you get into it, you'll find that great lith hinges almost entirely on the paper and chemistry, and very little on the film end (except of course, composition). It's a bit maddening for the novice, so have courage. Or send the negs to Mr. Carnie, who is an accomplished lith printer.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    kodak tri-x, always hand held, no flash, pushed to whatever is needed, often 800 - 1600

printed in downtown darkroom owned by apug sponsors silverprint by mike spry

buy his books, they are just fantastic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Star Trax

Should be pointed out that Mike Spry was and maybe still is Anton's printer, one of the greatist lith printer and traditional printer to ever enter a darkroom.
    If I ever get to London I would love to visit with him.
    Not enough credit given to Mr Spry IMO.
    Yup, Mike is still lith printing for Anton. The third partner in the relationship is Oriental Seagull (original) which Mike made sure to lay in in industrial quantities when it was discontinued. And it keeps amazingly well. However nothing lasts for ever, so Mike is making only a few 'signature' prints these days, and reproductions are struck off these.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Martin

Please give him my best regards, and I am glad he is still printing. Though I have expanded my darkroom and still very busy printing traditional negatives here in Toronto , I can say most labs have dropped their wet darkrooms and the schools as well..
    I think with the potential of digital negs and wet archival processes many of them have jumped ship to quickly.. I may be wrong but I do not think so.
    I hope to be in your neck of the woods sometime soon and would love to drop in and visit.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    Yup, Mike is still lith printing for Anton. The third partner in the relationship is Oriental Seagull (original) which Mike made sure to lay in in industrial quantities when it was discontinued. And it keeps amazingly well. However nothing lasts for ever, so Mike is making only a few 'signature' prints these days, and reproductions are struck off these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Martin....
    I hope to be in your neck of the woods sometime soon and would love to drop in and visit.
    Bob
    Would be great to see you, these days Mike only comes in when he's got work lined up, so keep in touch on the timing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Martin,

Has a plotted history of Oriental Seagull been written up? I seem to remember the product disappearing from your website sometime around 2005; and may have read somewhere that the current Oriental Seagull II may be re-branded 'Made in China' paper.

Tom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin