Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,511   Posts: 1,543,570   Online: 1088

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

John Gay - England Observed

I had fifteen minutes to spare whilst waiting for a bus yesterday so I went into the library and found a copy of England Observed by John Gay. A photographer I had not heard of before.

I was so engrossed in the book that I missed my bus and had to catch the next one! I will take my library card next time and take the book home.

These are everyday images of English life in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. The composition and quality is fantastic and the fact that most of them were taken with a Rolleiflex with its fixed 'normal' lens proves that you do not need a bag full of the latest gear to get good results.

http://www.englishheritageprints.com...n-gallery.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gay_(photographer)

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very nice. And B&W as well!

I've kept the link up and Am going to look them over more carefully after my memo here.

Thanks for pointing us to this photographers art.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    Missed that one!

Yes, it is good. I think I will borrow it from the library next week then think about buying a copy.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin