Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,124   Online: 982

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never heard of Ctein until this thread and it turns out he lives only about 75miles away in Daly City. Maybe sometime I can catch an exhibit of his if he has one and I know about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would imagine he went digital for commercial reasons. If you have a name and make money out of being a 'photo technique master' then why restrict yourself to a backwater? Go for the big pond (digital) as there are richer pickings there. Even Barry Thornton was quick to see where had had to go to continue to earn a good living. Its funny, because back then he was using matt inkjet papers (no good gloss was available without bad metamerism) yet he went raving away (never using matt paper in his darkoom). He had to, but I know from experience that those matt inkjets, even the best back in 2001-2002) were not even in the same galaxy as a top notch silver print apart from when comparing evil negs that were almost unprintable.

Keep shooting film if it floats your boat. its not about what others do. i have shot a 3 year project on film. Why? not because it was easy, but because I love the results, the beautiful prints, the fidelity and a whole host of other reasons - my choice. I may shoot more digital in the future, but once again it will have nothing to do with what other people are doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Slightly off-thread, but connected to my last posts:

Another so-called expert in a recent photography magazine made disparaging remarks about Irving Penn, so I've written him off although I never paid attention to him anyway.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nolanr66 View Post
    I have never heard of Ctein until this thread and it turns out he lives only about 75miles away in Daly City. Maybe sometime I can catch an exhibit of his if he has one and I know about it.
    He even lives 5 minutes from my house, but I too have never seen his work. That doesn't mean it's not worth seeing, but I've always considered him a technician rather than a photographer.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    I would imagine he went digital for commercial reasons. If you have a name and make money out of being a 'photo technique master' then why restrict yourself to a backwater? Go for the big pond (digital) as there are richer pickings there. Even Barry Thornton was quick to see where had had to go to continue to earn a good living. Its funny, because back then he was using matt inkjet papers (no good gloss was available without bad metamerism) yet he went raving away (never using matt paper in his darkoom). He had to, but I know from experience that those matt inkjets, even the best back in 2001-2002) were not even in the same galaxy as a top notch silver print apart from when comparing evil negs that were almost unprintable.

Keep shooting film if it floats your boat. its not about what others do. i have shot a 3 year project on film. Why? not because it was easy, but because I love the results, the beautiful prints, the fidelity and a whole host of other reasons - my choice. I may shoot more digital in the future, but once again it will have nothing to do with what other people are doing.
    Tom,

I never exactly understood Barry Thornton's position on inkjet and digital work. His books seem to place so much emphasis on issues around sharpness, glossy paper, non pictorialism etc. that matte inkjet paper circa 2001 seems rather "off".

Tom

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin