Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,887   Posts: 1,520,692   Online: 1106

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes, the Edward Weston prints are outstanding indeed. To see other outstanding prints, come visit our (our is Paula Chamlee and myself) studio during the Elephants Eye Tour in Bucks County--just 12 miles north of the Michener Museum. See www.elephantseyetour.org

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently purchased from Freestyle, "The Daybooks of Edward Weston," published by Aperture.

Just getting into reading it and I find his thoughts very candid, just like reading a journal.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When I lived in Tucson and was a member of the Center for Creative Photography at the U of A, one could request a private viewing of the many photographers that are archived there. During the three years I lived there I requested about a dozen private viewings, an overwhelming experience I will never forget. They have a large collection of Adams and Weston, among many others. They also have one of the largest collections of books on photography I have ever encountered in their Photo Library in the Center, probably one of the largest in the US. I spent many, many hours there. If you're ever in Tucson, be sure to check it out. They also have a top notch exhibition year around.
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 03-09-2010 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw the exhibit 3 times in Akron. A moving experience on each occasion.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I saw the Weston exhibit at the Michener Museum last month. It's wonderful. If you're interested, it closes at the end of March. Doylestown, PA is convenient to Philadelphia, Wilmington, New Jersey and New York and has other attractions of interest including the Mercer Museum and Fonthill.

Someone asked a question about the lighting and I must say that I found it rather dimly lit which I assume was done to help preserve the images. All of the images were from a single collection.

John

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I saw an Edward Weston's exhibithion some years ago here in Italy, an astonish exhibithion, fantastic prints,well lighting, for me a new incredible experience, because after that I opened my mind, changing my photographic method completely.

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I too was smitten when I first saw an Edward Weston original back in 1976 in 'The Land', exhibition at the Victoria and Albert museum, London.

London is long over due for a major EW exhibition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw and enjoyed the exhibit at Doylestown a few weeks back and intend to go back before it ends. I got there somewhat late in the day and ran short of time. Part of the time went to viewing a video they had running on Weston's life and activities that was quite interesting in itself. I want to go back with the whole day available so I can stand and stare as long as I want! It's definitely awesome work.

Shooter
    35mm
    about two years ago, i was reading an article about Weston in the paper and a co worker that was with me commented that he had one of his photographs once. long story short, once,he was asked by his sister to pick up a box with stuff that belonged to his father,and back at home,looking though the things with his wife, a black and white photograph of a palm tree came out. his wife decided to hang it by the bar, and a few weeks or months later,i don't remember that part, a friend came home and asked about the photograph and asked them if she could show it to a friend. they said yes. then they got a call asking them if they could take the photograph to new york. they said yes. then he got a call from new york, from one of the auction houses, informing him that it was a Weston, of course, and that they had a very interested buyer and if they wanted to sell it. they said yes again,this time with a big smile in their faces.
    turns out that Edward Weston gave the photograph to his grandfather who used to live in Cuernavaca,where the photograph was made. he and his wife didn't had any idea who Edward Weston was.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    Hi there,

Glad that you got to see an insirational exhibition.

A question: as you sound like you knew his work well in print e.g. magazines, books etc how different are the original prints to the reproductions?

It's hard to describe other than they are stunning. There is a 3 dimensional quality to them and the tonality is really amazing to see in person.

I'll make the disclaimer that I'm not an unbiased source though since I'm such a admirer of his work.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin