Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,283   Online: 706

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Saw an Edward Weston Exhibit Yesterday

Yesterday my wife and I went to the Michner Museum in Doylestown, PA to see the exhibit of Edward Weston's work.

I was blown away, it was truly a stirring experience.

Weston is one of if not my favorite photographers and I've read extensively on him and looked at many books of his work but seeing the work in person was simply amazing.

I have to admit that even though I've been in photography for quite a long time this was the first exhibit I've seen. For various reasons I've never gotten to one before and I figured that without extensive travel I'd probably never get to see any of Weston's work up close so I jumped at the chance to see this exhibit. It was better than I could have imagined. Getting your nose 6 inches from Pepper #30, Escusado, the Nautilus shells, etc. is an experience that everyone who admires his work should have.

Not to mention the unique feeling of knowing that what you are looking at is the image as he intended, on a sheet of photographic paper that he held in his hands, and worked himself.

If anyone is in the area, I highly recommend taking it in, especially if you are an admirer of his work. I also recommend to anyone, if you can see the work of those whose photography moves you and you truly enjoy, go and do it. You won't regret it. I know this may seem obvious to a lot of you but it's just something I did not have the opportunity to do until now and I know I will be making much more of an effort to see work in person from now on.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    He affects me like that as well. I have seen a few of his exhibits, one in the Oakland Ca Museum when I was just beginning photography that shaped me forever. I visited the Cleveland Museum once and found an EW print on permanent display that he had shot in a cemetery I think in New Orleans. I was so stunned with the print quality that I went back 4 days in a row and stood there staring at it.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There's nothing like the real thing.

Morry Katz - Lethbridge, Alberta

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi there,

Glad that you got to see an insirational exhibition.

A question: as you sound like you knew his work well in print e.g. magazines, books etc how different are the original prints to the reproductions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chances are, it was a contact print. The print was in contact with the negative that he shot and possibly processed. There is a physical connection with the Weston image that isn't possible with digital. I really don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    The prints are more subtle than the reproductions, ie lower contrast.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 03-08-2010 at 09:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Weston is my favourite photographer as well. I have never seen a real Edward Weston print in the flesh and I hope I get to see one before I depart this earth. I do have the Lodima Weston book which is suppose to be the next best thing and I must say it is outstanding.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Eric an awful lot of museums have EW in the permanent collections and might be willing to drag them out for personal viewing if you give them a day or two. I know they have them here in Portland

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Was the show lit well? The last Brett Weston show at the Phillips Collection had some beautiful prints which were lit quite poorly and the viewing suffered accordingly.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I really don't know if that makes a difference or not.
    I promise you that it makes quite a difference.
    Jim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin